Sublime Forum

Status Badges Git

wbond

Mar 2019

I am running Windows 7 32 bit and neither sidebar badges nor diff markers appear (I have changes since last commit). When I start to change files new diff markers appear but badges don’t appear even after saving.

Unfortunately our git backend was developed only for 64bit builds, partially since we aren’t planning on releasing Sublime Merge for 32bit, but also because it is easy to exhaust 32bit address space when dealing with large git repositories.

Sorry I’m probably being really thick here, no 32 bit machines running ST3 will have the git status badges ? Ah the joys of using upcycled tech in a climate emergency. I’m soo bitter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And if so; shucks and drat !

Cheers :unicorn::skull_and_crossbones:

0 Likes

That is correct, yes. There’s a blog post about it but the short version is that with a 32-bit address space it’s easy to exhaust available addresses when mmaping a file.

0 Likes

That’s correct, the implementation of our git library doesn’t work with 32bit machines on any platform.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies . Is that also true of GitSavvy ? I’ve just installed it…

(after a quick read of the first layer of docs there’s nothing to say otherwise, but the same is true of ST3 and Git and 64 bittedness)

(sorry that’s a different question, if I was on SO I’d be shot (existentially of course !) )

0 Likes

No; packages outside of the core of Sublime work by executing command like git and capturing the output. The git support built into Sublime is natively loading and reading information from the git repository directly and doesn’t require Git to be installed at all.

In that regard they’re entirely separate.

Note however that GitSavvy can’t display git status badges in the side bar; it can just allow you to work with Git (and perhaps also use icons in the gutter to show you changes; I’ve never used the package myself).

1 Like

Phew ! And written by divmain (the wbond icon at the bottom of the page keeps catching me out) I haven’t used it yet, but it looks pretty cool !

Thanks again Mr Martin ! :slightly_smiling_face:

L

0 Likes