Sublime Forum

Startup problem with HotExit = true on Windows 10

I had serious problems with ST3 on Windows 10 for a while now. When I started sublime it shows up quickly and exit right away. When I moved the Session.sublime_session file in AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Local directory ST3 started correctly. If I then exit ST3 it again created the session_state file and did not start anymore (started and immediately exit). Deleting Session.sublime_session again and it worked again for just one start. I could start ST3 only if I right click in Windows Explorer and selected “Open with Sublime Test”. This ways it always worked.

I now fixed the problem by setting "hot_exit": false. No the startup problem is gone. I guess there is a bug in the Hot-Exit feature on Windows 10 64bit.

It made me crazy and I was close move to another general purpose editor. Lucky me I found a hint about the new Hot-Exit feature.

0 Likes

new?

probably you have close_windows_when_empty set to true

0 Likes

Not new? Ok then. :slightly_smiling:

Yes, I have that close_window_when_empty option set (since years). The problem did not arise until one of the last updates of ST3. Now I can fix/workaround the issue if I set hot_exit = false. That fact my help the devs to find the issue around this combination which seems to happen only since this summer or later.

0 Likes

Bug still happens in build 3126.

Problem is when “hot_exit”: true and “close_windows_when_empty”: true. When you close the last tab with Ctrl+W the app will close. From now on one can’t start the app anymore (if instantly terminate again). To be able to use “close_windows_when_empty” one needs to disable “hot_exit”.

So my settings are like this:

"close_windows_when_empty": true,
"hot_exit": false
0 Likes