Sublime Forum

ST4: Use Selection for Find > Find Next gets stuck on regex match mode?

I’ve noticed this happening frequently recently, but I’m not sure when it started or how to reproduce (ugh! the worst kind of bug report!): I often select a variable in PHP (e.g. $foobar) and cmd-e (Use Selection for Find), cmd-g (Find Next) to find the other occurrences, and nothing happens, even though I know there are other matches in that document.

If I select the text minus the $ it will work, but this isn’t ideal as sometimes it has matches I don’t want.

If I open the Find dialog, and turn on regex match mode, then turn it off again, it then works as expected. I can cmd-e, cmd-g on that $foobar variable and it works fine, and the behavior sticks across documents and projects until it randomly stops working again, requiring me to toggle regex match mode on & off again.

I do use regex match mode in Find every so often, but 95% of the time it’s off. And every time I run into this issue, when I open Find, it’s not turned on — but toggling it triggers the fix.

Anybody else seeing similar behavior? I’m on the ST4 dev channel, currently build 4131.

0 Likes

I found a command I’ve never seen before, Quick Find (cmd-alt-g), which does work for what I need here (quickly find the next instance of selection, ignoring the regex status of Find). Although cmd-e, cmg-g is pretty hardwired for me as I use it all the time in other apps, I can rewire my brain to use Quick Find for ST4.

Some other weird behavior I’ve noticed that may be a clue: cmd-e will escape the $ for the selected text in the Find dialog if regex is enabled, but then it disappears as soon as you cmd-g (or click the Find button), and nothing is found as it’s searching for $data instead of \$data:

I do think something’s goofy in this area, and it’s definitely different from ST3/2, as I never ran into this before. I know this isn’t a huge deal, but it seems to point to something being a little haywire with search internals, so I brought it up.

0 Likes