Sublime Forum

ST4 Theme Picker Not Working

I have new Apple silicon Mac that I am getting setup to do work. I have older Intel Mac’s Sublime is configured to how I am used to.

They are both using the same version of Sublime. I am having problem activating themes. I tried copying the files into Packages folder. I tried checkout from Github. The theme is not showing up in Preferences > Select Theme.

What sort of works

"color_scheme": "Packages/Base16 Eighties Dark Color Scheme/base16-eighties-dark.tmTheme",
"theme": "Adaptive.sublime-theme",

What I want it to be

"color_scheme": "Packages/Base16 Eighties Dark Color Scheme/base16-eighties-dark.tmTheme",
"theme": "Spacegray Eighties.sublime-theme",

There is some other strange things going on with Packages folder, where when I copy non theme packages in, then they disappear.

0 Likes

This is a symptom of trying to manually copy a package installed by Package Control from one machine to another; don’t do that (as you’ve seen).

When PC installs a package, it puts a metadata file inside of the package that includes things like the version and the fact that PC installed it in the first place. If it sees a package that contains metadata like that but it’s not in the list of installed_packages in Package Control.sublime-settings, it assumes that the package is an orphan and removes it. Similarly, if a package appears in the installed_packages setting but isn’t installed, it will be installed.

The only packages that it’s safe to copy are your User package and any packages you manually installed. In particular, your settings and configuration for Sublime are stored in the User package, so you probably want that duplicated between machines to keep your configs the same. As long as you install Package Control, it will make sure that all of the packages you told it to install are installed.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the help with this. I got it working. I swear when I tried to install it via package control it wasn’t showing up in the theme picker… but it worked when I tried it again just now.

0 Likes

It’s possible that it might have been missing for a while, depending on when you tried it. There are security mechanisms in place in PC for example that require some checks if the connection to GitHub where the package is stored are down for any appreciable length of time. During that period packages can show as missing until they’re re-verified.

1 Like