Sublime Forum

ST4: Scrolling is not smooth; tab-complete is slow

Edit to the below: the whole editor is just dragging, did you leave the debug flags on? Every keypress is slow. I’m on build 4107

Hey there,

I just upgraded to ST4, on my 16" Intel Macbook Pro with i9 cpu.

1. The scrolling is not smooth, and the screen stutters. My CPU usage is basically 0, nothing else is running.

2. Tab-completion is a mess, how do I revert back to ST3’s tag completion?

3. Everytime I create a new file, a new tab opens up and then I have to press CTRL + S to save it as a file. The previous functionality automatically asked me to enter the filename. How do we get this back.

Like everyone else, I had no idea that this was a full version upgrade. This version is basically pre-beta software, and definitely destroyed my morning. Not happy.

0 Likes

ST4 much slower when scrolling large files versus ST3

I second this. I installed ST in approx April 2021 specifically because it was so good at editing large files, and was able to open and edit a file even 4GB in size. Not everything worked quickly, but it was usable to search for a specific record, or make a few minor edits and save. Since updating the program a couple of weeks ago (Sep 2021), I now struggle to search in or edit a file that’s 750MB; most of the time the app is just locked up and unusable. Frustratingly, I purchased a license at the same time I installed the update, and now I can’t use it for what I appreciated it so much for!

Big thanks for managing to get it to work previously for large files, but hopefully the current version will be fixed up soon to do the same thing.

0 Likes

With a valid license at hand, you could try ST 4115 (https://www.sublimetext.com/dev), which provides various performance fixes.

0 Likes