Sublime Forum

ST4 4113 hangs when using font_face "Fixedsys"

Hi!
I got a 100% hang when using Fixedsys font (on Windows 10)

Repro:
start sublime4 in safe mode
select preferences/settings
type “font_face”: “Fixedsys”
Save…
Type something… ex.: "f

Then sublime hangs…

0 Likes

0 Likes

I don’t get a crash when I do what you do… but if I after having saved the settings continue to edit the settings file then I get the hang… also typing a qoute character first before the f’es seems to matter

0 Likes

Also it seems you don’t have the “Fixedsys” font installed because it doesn’t look like that at all

0 Likes

Also it seems you don’t have the “Fixedsys” font installed because it doesn’t look like that at all

Interesting. I thought (actually pretty sure) that’s a builtin font in Win10 but I am wrong.

0 Likes

Yeah I thought it was built-in as well, but maybe the removed in win10 or something. I’ve been using it for a decade or so…

0 Likes

I confirm, my Windows 10 has Fixedsys and Sublime hangs. The system memory starts to be eaten very fast, in just a few seconds Sublime was already using 4 GB of RAM and eating hundreds of MB per second.

But it only hangs if I type and the text has a background color, which is what you get when you type on the settings JSON without quotes. If there’s no background color it works just fine.

At first I thought it was because it’s a bitmap font, but Courier, MS Serif and MS Sans Serif works. So it’s probably because the font is old, last updated in 1987, and it has something ST4 doesn’t expect. Fixedsys Excelsior works, but its spacing is different. Report it on their bugtracker.

0 Likes