Sublime Forum

ST3 Update now is ST4

People expected their old ST3 license to be valid in ST4. How is this conspiracy?

I get the issue. After reading about it on this forum, its pretty clear to me that the problem is not that there is a “forced” Sublime Text update. That is simply a scapegoat for vocal users to place the blame on. The truth is that they wanted their ST3 license still be valid in new ST.

0 Likes

Haven’t read all the comments, joined the forum to say that the upgrade to version 4 process is really very bad.

The upgrade nag should have an ignore checkbox. Shouldn’t have to search a forum to find out that you need to add something to config to stop it.

Before upgrading, it should be made clear that this upgrade may invalidate your licence and how much an upgrade will be if it does, not get you to install it first then find out.

Not good.

5 Likes

Your hostile posts here are doing sublime text a disservice.

Like so many here apparently I came to this forum to complain and suggest to the ST team that they should change their upgrade dialog.

Like so many here I have paid for a license because I value the work of the developers. Forcing the upgrade and thereby voiding my license was an inconvenience I would have simply avoided were the upgrade information more transparent.

There’s nothing sinister going on here with the many users expressing their concern, just a slight disappointment that the upgrade wasn’t handled better and the hope the ST team will do better next time.

Your posts here sour the atmosphere and leave a bad taste that these forums aren’t the place to voice these valid concerns and that the moderators do not actually care. Please stop.
This is not a good place to be in - for an otherwise very good piece of software I happily supported.

5 Likes

Nobody forced you to download the update. The notification was pushed and you accepted it.

I have been on the web for more than 10 years. I know that some people simply love to complain about any change made.

You are free to ignore my posts. You are correct however that this is no place to report issues. Use the github repo for that.

How is finally releasing a new stable build of the next version of a program not a good place for ST to be?

0 Likes

No, you really don’t. Everyone else does though, except you.

Nope, that is the problem. Not sure why lots with of people saying the same thing it isn’t clear to you.

Nope. That’s your truth, but not the actual truth. But you go ahead and keep on posting your truth, embarrassing yourself and the ST team.

1 Like

Or it simply means that there are people besides you that can’t understand the real issue.

It is pretty clear me that is the problem underneath all this.

Not my truth. Simply a fact. Document on this very forum. Nothing stops people from canceling the update or downgrading, yet they simply resort to complain.

0 Likes

any update regarding this issue? It still asks me to upgrade to the major version (Sublime Text 4) from Sublime Text 3.

Tested on Ubuntu and Windows

somehow this issue should be fixed instead add notes about this limitation?

1 Like

Add "update_check": false to your settings.

3 Likes

Hi @surbakti,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies if your workflow has been interrupted. To disable update notifications, see step two of: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/previous_versions.html

Note that you’ll need a license key to disable update notifications, as we encourage unlicensed users to evaluate on the latest version (to receive the latest fixes and experience).

Thanks,
- Dylan

2 Likes

Seems to me that you just like to go on internet forums and make yourself look foolish. Weird flex, but to each their own. I just wish you’d contribute to the conversation, instead of muddying the waters with straw men.

1 Like

Thanks Dylan. This worked for me, and got me working again.

1 Like

Seems pretty clear to me that people complaining don’t want to admit to the simple fact that they wanted their old ST3 license continue to be valid in ST4.

0 Likes

I must admit, when I saw the “LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED” and had to pay $80 without any warning, I was a bit annoyed. Then I realised, I love ST, it’s lightweight, and all the other editors seem to have something that I can’t change or don’t quite work the way I want them to. I then realised, we all need money and these guys are working on software that I can’t work without, so f**k it, I bought the upgrade license without regret.

Thanks Sublime HQ!

2 Likes

can’t say i agree with you, you seems to be the only person that have that ‘fact’ that you conjured up yourself.

2 Likes

0 Likes

I guess the upgrade to ST4 with a valid ST3 license can be considered an end of life ST3 upgrade. They have already said the nag ware is not there anymore, so really all that you are experiencing is some text that says you need to upgrade your license to get future updates… its pretty much ST3 end of life.

I dont see anyone saying you will be force to upgrade your license if you want to use ST4 with your ST3 license.

Its an upgrade because you WANT the cool new stuff policy. Upgrade because of their excellence. Upgrade because you enjoy sublime. Its not a upgrade now or you cant continue to work policy.

There arent any real downsides to using the ST4 release and NOT upgrading your license vs using the last ST3 upgrade.

I really dont see what people are so upset about.
You got a free upgrade to ST4 out of the deal. Its just the last update you will get without updating your license…

IMHO thats pretty fair. 3 years of updates for a license rev. Its better than many other paid tools.

I for one want the sublime guys to fix the dependency promblems in the 3.8 runtime and add variable fonts per buffer or narrowing support and as long as they keep working to make sublime substantially better and listening to their community, I dont mind chipping in for gas.

If they actually did hold my ability to use what I have already bought hostage as part of an update. Yeah, I would be pretty ticked off. But they didnt do that here. They just notified you that this is it. You want more updates, you have to upgrade.

At this point I would say… dont upgrade. Wait and see what really cool stuff the sublime team builds. If its awesome, upgrade… if its not. Stay on ST4 rc1 and enjoy.

2 Likes

Incorrect. Stuff broke, and my workflow with it. Not really sure of all that broke, since I’ve already done the downgrade, but it was a terrible experience. I’m not mad about the licensing. I’m mad about the fact that I couldn’t get me work done in a timely fashion due to the botched, and unwelcomed, update.

1 Like

You keep trying to make that point, and you keep failing so spectacularly. It’s amusing to watch such mental gymnastics in action, really. I wish I had so much free time, but I’m glad I don’t have such a strong desire to feel validated. It’s like watching a train wreck. lol

0 Likes

That is your fault. Any real developers knows that updates comes with breaking changes. As seen with Windows, Python, MacOS, Firefox, etc…

Well, you are here wasting time and looking for validation.

0 Likes

Updating to ST4 Might Affect Previous Settings?

I also found myself agreeing to a ST3 update (non-expiring license) and found myself with ST4 and the need to buy a license in order to keep using it.

After going through the docs, FAQ, etc., I become worried that changes in ST4 might have affected my local settings (i.e. update them to ST4) and that reverting to ST3 might leave me with corrupt or non-working settings and packages (definitely, some packages were automatically updated to ST4, and wouldn’t have worked with ST3).

I recall reading somewhere on the website that before upgrading users should make a backup of their settings folders. So why bump to the next MAJOR version without warning and user consent?

I was in the middle of a ton of work, little free time, so I just didn’t want to risk reverting to ST3 and finding broken packages, non-working settings, etc., so I just upgraded my license to ST4 (which, for some reason, seems to invalidate my previous license).

I was quite disappointed to see a MAJOR version update bump being peddled as a regular update. It’s quite unheard off, regardless of license upgrading — i.e. a developer might need to stick to a specific MAJOR version for various reasons, including the fact that he/she might be working on a commercial package for ST3.

Anyhow, what’s done is done. I was hoping to take my time to consider migrating to ST4, before actually jumping into it. No regrets, but it wasn’t a priority for me and would have preferred postponing it a couple of months, for various reasons.

1 Like