Sublime Forum

ST3 Update now is ST4

I accepted the 2016 license terms, see my reply at the start of the thread.

The v4 .exe installer does also not display any licensing information if run by itself.

4 Likes

ST4 seems to be plagued with issues as per Github. If ST4 is in-fact cumulative result of all of the changes since 10/2019, then Github shows that there have been 500 issues since then that are still open (reference: https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues) with approx. 10% or 50 opened since the rollout of the update couple days ago. To be fair, there have also been approx. 375 issues closed since. That’s 4 new issues added for every 3 closed. With such stats, I would’ve re-considered rolling out a major release until it’s fully hardened and PRODUCTION READY!

1 Like

here is a TLDR for the new terms.

0 Likes

New ST is production ready. They have been testing it and taking feedback from users for months on Discord.

0 Likes

Wrong again @bitsper2nd, it’s about people pointing out the inconvenience of having unknowingly installed a major version update, with a change of licensing conditions for many, after a simple prompt which had previously always been for minor version updates.

Nothing to do with hating change, nothing to do with wanting anything for free, and all almost certainly just due to an oversight on the part of the sublime team.

5 Likes

Here is my evidence that proofs that people just wanted a free upgrade:

They did got a free upgrade to v4. The detail is that there is text saying UNLICENSED or UPGRADE. The text editor still is fully functional. At the end of the day, you can still use Sublime Text without paying a dime. If it bothers you that much, instead of complaining, use the time to either buy a license, downgrade or change to another text editor.

1 Like

At the end of the day, you can still use Sublime Text without paying a dime.

Maybe you should actually read the terms, this is an excerpt from the Buy page:

Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use.

1 Like

Lol, I can see quick messages flying to ST HQ…hey hurry up and reword that sentence :rofl:

0 Likes

In legal terms yes. But in practice, they can’t stop people or companies from using ST without paying. There is no DRM or similar mechanism to in ST to do so. Sublime Text is basically the WinRAR of text editors. They trust in the goodwill of people. This means that in the future a person using ST every day will most likely pay for a license.

0 Likes

Three examples, none of them from this thread. You’re really not the sharpest tool in the box, are you, @bitsper2nd?

2 Likes

You sure got me, man. Who would have thought that people are complaining about ST in other threads besides this one!

0 Likes

My feedback is that the new ‘features’ are killing my productivity. In Python files and type a space and get a pop-up list of the most basic root level guesses that Sublime has as suggestions. The list is long and covers up the cursor. I hit the list goes away, then I type a space and it is back.
So now I have two keystrokes for every one I had before, plus the visual clutter of this suggestion list appearing and disappearing. Maybe there is a way to turn this off, but I will undoubtably need to spend a good deal of time researching it.

There is more. The new Sublime4 also made the normal Menu bar disappear and put the menu items under what some people call the ‘hamburger’ icon - three horizontal bars - in the top left corner. It only took a couple of hours to track this down and find that it is crippled this way except for a couple of color schemes. So YAY, I have the normal menu bar back. But I am limited to a short list of color schemes if I want this.

Your attitude seems to be that I should be happy to pay new licensing fees for this kind of upgrade.

2 Likes

It should say, ‘I hit escape and the list goes away’ above, but this tool took out escape with brackets. My bad .

0 Likes

I guess I am not done here @bitsper2nd. Your non-apologies for people having the rug pulled out from under them are disheartening.
One response would be ‘I see your point, I feel your pain. We can use this to make the next MAJOR shift better’.
What I see is ‘Your fault, you should be more careful, you eff’ed yourself, get over it, …’

I did pay for the new license. And I see that it will be up again in 3 years. And I am good with that because I think everyone should ante up and share the burden. So your off-hand dismissals make me want to pull back my license and move on. And as you posted above and can again “Bye, won’t miss you”. It is just sad

2 Likes

Users asked for better autocomplete, so new ST does that. You can turn it off.

Users prefer the hamburger menu, to the menu bar. Real programmers mostly use keyboard shortcuts or command palette instead of manually dragging the mouse to the menu. Again, you can disable the hamburger menu and return to menu bar in the preferences.

Basing the return of your purchase on a comment from a random person online is sad.

0 Likes

The random person is only one data point, and not the most important. This release does not seem ready for prime time. Maybe in a few more releases I will try again. I’ll keep watching. For now going back to the familiar and productive Sublime Text 3.

3 Likes

Read what? The prompt that just said a new version is available. The upgrade prompt, that kept coming back even after being cancelled didn’t once say that my license would no lnger work and that it was going to perform a major version upgrade. Did yours?

You seem to be going out of your way to suggest its the end users at fault here, when it very clearly isn’t, as the devs have admitted to.

1 Like

Can the mods stop bitsper2nd from posting? He’s not helping the situation at all and thinks he’s helping you by calling your users stupid.

5 Likes

You should have done your due diligence and investigated before accepting the update. Before this new update, people were complaining about ST being abandoned or not receiving enough updates. Now the update arrive and here you are complaining about it.

I don’t speak for SublimeHQ. I am just writing how it is. Some users are using the update dilemma as a red herring. The real complaint underneath all this is that they wanted their old ST3 license to cover ST4.

0 Likes

Moderating only works short-term, the best thing we can do in forums and generally on social media is to learn to set the record straight once and then ignore. There will always be people that don’t want to actually understand what you’re saying.
We all posted here because we wanted to hear from the developers, and we did, and they seem very helpful. No point in getting upset over what someone not associated with the company thinks.

0 Likes