Sublime Forum

ST3 Update now is ST4

Seems to me that you just like to go on internet forums and make yourself look foolish. Weird flex, but to each their own. I just wish you’d contribute to the conversation, instead of muddying the waters with straw men.

1 Like

Thanks Dylan. This worked for me, and got me working again.

1 Like

Seems pretty clear to me that people complaining don’t want to admit to the simple fact that they wanted their old ST3 license continue to be valid in ST4.

0 Likes

I must admit, when I saw the “LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED” and had to pay $80 without any warning, I was a bit annoyed. Then I realised, I love ST, it’s lightweight, and all the other editors seem to have something that I can’t change or don’t quite work the way I want them to. I then realised, we all need money and these guys are working on software that I can’t work without, so f**k it, I bought the upgrade license without regret.

Thanks Sublime HQ!

2 Likes

can’t say i agree with you, you seems to be the only person that have that ‘fact’ that you conjured up yourself.

2 Likes

0 Likes

I guess the upgrade to ST4 with a valid ST3 license can be considered an end of life ST3 upgrade. They have already said the nag ware is not there anymore, so really all that you are experiencing is some text that says you need to upgrade your license to get future updates… its pretty much ST3 end of life.

I dont see anyone saying you will be force to upgrade your license if you want to use ST4 with your ST3 license.

Its an upgrade because you WANT the cool new stuff policy. Upgrade because of their excellence. Upgrade because you enjoy sublime. Its not a upgrade now or you cant continue to work policy.

There arent any real downsides to using the ST4 release and NOT upgrading your license vs using the last ST3 upgrade.

I really dont see what people are so upset about.
You got a free upgrade to ST4 out of the deal. Its just the last update you will get without updating your license…

IMHO thats pretty fair. 3 years of updates for a license rev. Its better than many other paid tools.

I for one want the sublime guys to fix the dependency promblems in the 3.8 runtime and add variable fonts per buffer or narrowing support and as long as they keep working to make sublime substantially better and listening to their community, I dont mind chipping in for gas.

If they actually did hold my ability to use what I have already bought hostage as part of an update. Yeah, I would be pretty ticked off. But they didnt do that here. They just notified you that this is it. You want more updates, you have to upgrade.

At this point I would say… dont upgrade. Wait and see what really cool stuff the sublime team builds. If its awesome, upgrade… if its not. Stay on ST4 rc1 and enjoy.

2 Likes

Incorrect. Stuff broke, and my workflow with it. Not really sure of all that broke, since I’ve already done the downgrade, but it was a terrible experience. I’m not mad about the licensing. I’m mad about the fact that I couldn’t get me work done in a timely fashion due to the botched, and unwelcomed, update.

1 Like

You keep trying to make that point, and you keep failing so spectacularly. It’s amusing to watch such mental gymnastics in action, really. I wish I had so much free time, but I’m glad I don’t have such a strong desire to feel validated. It’s like watching a train wreck. lol

0 Likes

That is your fault. Any real developers knows that updates comes with breaking changes. As seen with Windows, Python, MacOS, Firefox, etc…

Well, you are here wasting time and looking for validation.

0 Likes

Updating to ST4 Might Affect Previous Settings?

I also found myself agreeing to a ST3 update (non-expiring license) and found myself with ST4 and the need to buy a license in order to keep using it.

After going through the docs, FAQ, etc., I become worried that changes in ST4 might have affected my local settings (i.e. update them to ST4) and that reverting to ST3 might leave me with corrupt or non-working settings and packages (definitely, some packages were automatically updated to ST4, and wouldn’t have worked with ST3).

I recall reading somewhere on the website that before upgrading users should make a backup of their settings folders. So why bump to the next MAJOR version without warning and user consent?

I was in the middle of a ton of work, little free time, so I just didn’t want to risk reverting to ST3 and finding broken packages, non-working settings, etc., so I just upgraded my license to ST4 (which, for some reason, seems to invalidate my previous license).

I was quite disappointed to see a MAJOR version update bump being peddled as a regular update. It’s quite unheard off, regardless of license upgrading — i.e. a developer might need to stick to a specific MAJOR version for various reasons, including the fact that he/she might be working on a commercial package for ST3.

Anyhow, what’s done is done. I was hoping to take my time to consider migrating to ST4, before actually jumping into it. No regrets, but it wasn’t a priority for me and would have preferred postponing it a couple of months, for various reasons.

1 Like

The problem is for those who had a ST3 lifetime and were using it a work. Without notice they’ll end up with an editor that says the license is expired. This is a problematic situation in a working environment. The whole point of a life-time license is to be able to update for the whole MAJOR version incarnation without worries.

It’s easy to imagine how disruptive the whole scenario would be if the update breaks the license in the middle of a busy working days, with clients coming into the office. What sort of impression would it give them if they see an editor with an expired license notice?

It’s also worth noting that many software application actually inform you about the details of each update in the update notification window, allowing end users a more informed choice regarding whether they should update now or postpone (e.g. in case of breaking changes).

The ST3 update notification that preceded the installation of ST4 wasn’t very informative at all.

1 Like

You have a lifetime license for ST3.

Another ridiculous nightmare scenario! Do you also invite clients and work when you are installing a Windows, linux distro or mac os update?

No, the program, not telling you about what comes with the update before installing, is pretty normal behavior for programs on desktop computers. See Mozilla Firefox for example. You get an update prompt and download it if you wish so. After installing the update, you get the changelog. That is pretty standard on Windows, the most used OS on the desktop.

0 Likes

When was the last time Firefox did its auto-update, and then told you that you have to pay to keep using what they just upgraded you to, or view their license alert? And if you don’t like it, then you can go to the Firefox site, download their previous version, and reinstall it. Auto-updating patches is cool, and this definitely looked like a patch, so everyone clicked “Download”. It was not a patch.

I don’t use ST often, but often enough I wanted to support the developers, so I don’t know all the ins and outs like some daily devs, and it took me 2 hours to figure it all out. And although I’m happy having downgraded back to ST3, I feel everyone deserves the right to voice their frustrations on the company’s tech support forum.

1 Like

Let me be clear with you with the following points:

1. On Windows, the most used OS for desktop on the planet, Firefox updates itself unless you configure it to not do that. The same thing with Windows 10.

2. And no, you can use ST4 without a license. It is an unlimited trial. You weren’t forced to update, the prompt appear and you consented to the update. In any moment you could have cancel it.

0 Likes

I’m not sure why your taking this personally. You asked a question and I answered. That many ST users were not happy the way the ST4 unrolled is a fact — as witnessed by the many comments on this thread.

The main purpose of users giving feedback on what they like or dislike is to let the developers be aware of how they perceive their products and services. By labelling feedback as “ridiculous” and other labels diminishing of others’ own views and perceptions you are surely not doing a service to the Sublime HQ Team, who are most likely interest in their userbase’s opinions and feedback (no matter how harsh).

Unless your acting as an official Sublime HQ representative, which would be another matter altogether.

3 Likes

In the most ridiculous way.

Not every criticism is good feedback.

There are more users happy with ST4. They aren’t just vocal about it. If you don’t like something, you are more likely to express it online. You fall in that loud minority camp.

1 Like

I’m not sure you read a word I wrote. Nonetheless, I’ve had enough of your trolling for a year. Although I was still considering a path to ST4, I won’t be back to Sublime so long as they have trolls in their waters and nobody can post a thing without being told it was their fault. And yes, I realize I won’t be missed. Thanks for the memories, ST.

1 Like

If you had read my other post in this thread you’d have realized that I’m a happy ST user, and that I’ve upgraded my license too. I just would have preferred to have done it with more time at hand.

I find it interesting that you consider “critics” a minority, yet you invest so much energy going after them and labeling them labels — somehow minorities tend to be always the object of verbal abuses (if not worst).

I’ve had a constructive approach toward the ST community for many years, always submitting bug reports (the last one just 10 minutes ago, for ST4). In an ideal world, users would be free to post their views and opinions without being diminished or insulted; which would make this community a much friendlier place. But then, lacking moderation, I can see this is turning into an hostile place.

0 Likes

Really, why don’t you all stop feeding the troll.

0 Likes