Sublime Forum

ST3 unexpectedly has become slow and laggy

Using Windows 7, ST3

I installed a new theme (Material Theme), but even after uninstalling, the GUI seems to be very unresponsive. I’m using primarily for Python development, but when I try to preview python files from the side bar it takes > 5-10 seconds to display the file in the main window. Same thing happens when switching tabs between Python files, and if the application is out of focus and becomes focused again.

New to debugging ST3, any direction here would help. Thanks!

0 Likes

In case it helps anyone, found a similar issue that was fixed by running “Package Control: Update/Overwrite all packages”

0 Likes

I currently have this problem. I’ve tried the “Update/Overwrite” all and it didn’t help. I’ve also tried a few different themes with no success. Every time I switch tabs or bring ST3 back in to focus, it lags for about a second. Sometimes it’s so bad that when I select a tab to switch to, it lags out and when it recovers, it’s pulled the tab I selected out in to it’s own new instance of ST3 that I then have to drag back in to the application.

When I’m typing and working in the editor, it’s super smooth and nice. Just swapping tabs and coming back to the app is painful.

If anyone has any fixes or ideas, it would be much appreciated =)

0 Likes

This issue was fixed in ST3 Build 3157.

• If you’re on the dev release channel, update to the latest Build.
  • If you are on the stable release channel, you’ll have to wait for the next stable release. The current release as of right now is 3143.
0 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I upgraded to the dev build and will see how it goes.

0 Likes

That fixed it, thanks =)

0 Likes

This problem appears to have reared its ugly head once again, at least for me.

I’m running ST 3.2.1 Build 3207 on Ubuntu 18.04. I don’t have any plugins installed, and I’ve tried deleting the “~/.config/sublime-text-3” directory as well as running “Update/OverWrite”.

There is around a 1-second delay from when I type a character to when it appears on the screen. Strangely, changing a configuration setting (such as toggling Word Wrap or Spellcheck) sets everything back to normal, until the window goes out of focus. When I focus the window again, the problem is back.

Sorry folks, thanks for all the fantastic work you do (this is the first bug I’ve encountered after like 4 years of using ST :slight_smile: )

0 Likes

I fixed it! As it turns out, the bug wasn’t Sublime’s fault at all. I’m posting the solution here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

The culprit was “Orca”, the default screenreader in Ubuntu. It was running in the background. The solution was to kill and uninstall Orca:

$ sudo killall orca
$ sudo apt remove orca
1 Like