Sublime Forum

[ST3] reverse find direction is a pain

it seems ST3 got rid of the button to toggle search direction (which makes search work from the bottom of a file to the top), which is fine, I never knew it was there til a colleague pointed it out in ST2 while I was bitching about this

but. the feature still exists in code

{ "keys": "super+i"], "command": "show_panel", "args": {"panel": "incremental_find", "reverse":false} },
{ "keys": "super+shift+i"], "command": "show_panel", "args": {"panel": "incremental_find", "reverse":true} },

cmd+shift+i will trigger reverse find which is fine but the setting will stick making all future use of find work in the wrong direction

since the only UI I’m aware of was removed, there’s no way to fix it except to use cmd+i which sets it to false

either those shortcuts shouldn’t even exist in ST3 or the reverse:true shouldn’t cause a global flag to be set which can only be un-set by an equally obscure keyboard shortcut

2 Likes

thanks for this note! i was going crazy!
i didn’t realise that I’d hit cmd+shift I…

for those coming after, to set direction forwards again, hit Cmd+i to incremental search forwards.

I’ve added:

{ "keys": "super+shift+i"], "command": "noop"}
]

to my Sublime Text > Preferences > Key Bindings - User file to disable the shortcut altogether.

1 Like

should be [“super+shift+i”] (missing bracket)

Thanks for posting this!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this was resolved elsewhere, but they have a “Find Prev” button if you do Ctrl/Command + F.

0 Likes

Brilliant suggestion. I’m amazed this hasn’t been fixed in ST yet. There should be a visual indication of the current default search direction.

0 Likes