Sublime Forum

ST3: Problems with "Find in files"

I spend a lot of time trying to untangle my clients’ spaghetti C, which is a mess on an epic scale. The search functions are my life-line whenever the symbol lookup fails. I’m using ST3 build 3047.

Firstly I was a bit surprised how limited the “find in files” is, “Where” is offering only ‘open files and folders’ and then with a few mouse clicks I can add a directory. Obvious ‘nice to have’ options could include file filters - search all files, search all files in project, search all recognised source file types in the project tree, give a file filter *.ext, search in comments/ignore text in comments, and so on. Do these filters exist and I missed them, or could they be added to a wish list?

So, search is launched and now currently I’m looking at this:

and wondering how long it will take… A busy indicator, or progress bar/files processed counter/current file name, would be lovely. Perhaps I missed it (like the symbol indexing indicator) but I really did look closely!

Then, the console is full of this:

[quote]Unable to auto detect encoding, using fallback encoding Western (Windows 1252)
Unable to auto detect encoding, using fallback encoding Western (Windows 1252)
etc. hundreds of times
[/quote]

It would be nice if these messages were a bit more informative - ie. contain the file name it’s complaining about and in general not the same message printed 1000x but perhaps something like this:

[quote]Unable to auto detect encoding, using fallback encoding Western (Windows 1252)
Last message repeated 61000 times.
[/quote]

You get the idea.

In general a lot of messages like this come because the client has a borked version control system that occasionally spits binary characters into text files, this then confuses ST into thinking that it’s a binary file. I’ve seen the ‘ignoring binary file’ warning many times. It would be nice here if ST would trust the extension more than what it finds. An error/warning message would be fine, but it shouldn’t just stop searching/indexing because of a few junk characters in what’s otherwise quite obviously a source file.

0 Likes

You can use things like *.ext in the box, separated with commas.

0 Likes

That’s helpful, thank you, however I’m hoping for much more :wink:

0 Likes

This endless fallback consume 100% CPU. I hope this problem will be solved soon, because this is very irritating.

Thanks.

0 Likes