Sublime Forum

ST3 install issues (again) (sorry!) Package Control

Well just when I thought I might be not on this forum so much and taking up everyone valuable time (thanks again) I thought I’d install ST3 on my travelling laptop, so that if I was working out and about (eventually) I’d have a similar environment to work on.
(Having spent hours and hours getting ST3 to vaguely what i want. Sorry about the moan, at least it’s getting shorter)
I’d forgotten foolishly about all the trouble I have at the beginning of the install, however I seem to be getting some different errors in the control panel hence this new thread.
The trouble is Package Control (it does seem that this is a nec. install if you want to install anything else) I did read somewhere that it’s broken, though I can’t find that thread now, apologies)
I did check out this though

which seems to imply that i might have the wrong one installed ?

Bearing in mind this

which is largely about package control, (I was trying to find some colour schemes)
here is the output from the contol panel

File “2_bootstrap in /home/toshiba/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package”, line 26, in
File “”, line 1565, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 1532, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “/opt/sublime_text/sublime_plugin.py”, line 696, in load_module
exec(compile(source, source_path, ‘exec’), mod.dict)
File “package_control.bootstrap in /home/toshiba/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package”, line 23, in
File “package_control.loader in /home/toshiba/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package”, line 57, in
File “./posixpath.py”, line 83, in join
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +=: ‘NoneType’ and ‘str’
reloading plugin Package Control.Package Control
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/sublime_text/sublime_plugin.py”, line 78, in reload_plugin
m = importlib.import_module(modulename)
File “./importlib/init.py”, line 90, in import_module
File “”, line 1584, in _gcd_import
File “Package Control in /home/toshiba/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package”, line 14, in
File “./posixpath.py”, line 83, in join
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +=: ‘NoneType’ and ‘str’
plugins loaded
Unable to open /home/toshiba/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/Default/Preferences.sublime-settings
Unable to open /home/toshiba/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings

From the thread dec 2019 I had to load up from a tarball and reinstall ST3, will this be the case again ?

It’s still linux Mint MATE 17.1

All the best

0 Likes

So I’ve done some more work, just in case this is useful for anyone else.
Under Help -> About Sublime I’d found that I’d installed build 3103, so I removed it (which has got rib of the problem !) and am gonna try again.

The issue I’m running into is that there seem to be several routes to possible downloads, all from ST3 documentation. I downloaded build 3103 from sublimetext.com -> linux repositories.
I should have been at sublimetext.com/3 where the latest build should be. I guess for all those that are part of the dev (either unofficially or otherwise) it’s all petty clear, but for us noobs, it’s a minefield… Anyway I shall try build 3211 which is almost working on my other machine. I shall add the bare minumum of packages as these seem to be causing some conflict with each other…Ugg

0 Likes

sublimetext.com and sublimetext.com/3 both send you to the same page: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/linux_repositories.html to download Sublime Text. The tarball available from sublimetext.com/3 is also of build 3211. Besides that it’s up to whichever package manager you’re using to install the desired version. Could you confirm how you installed Sublime Text?

0 Likes

I’ve managed to install 3211 (everything seems to work at this early stage) and sort a few other things out, like ‘repair’ my old broken ST3 desktop icon and gain it’s functionality. No miracles have been worked, but I’ll do a detailed post later, maybe it’ll help some fellow noobs and MATE 17.1 users. It will also put a tick icon on an old post…

Thanks for replying :+1:

0 Likes