Sublime Forum

ST3 hangs when attempting to save read-only file

When attempting to save a read-only file, ST3 hangs for 10-20 seconds. Then displays a message… “Overwrite write-protected file”. Is there a solution or work-around for this issue?

This is on RH 7.8 using xfce desktop.

To clarify, not a problem that ST3 displays the message. The problem is that is locks-up for 10-20 seconds.

0 Likes

I was thinking linux, but then realised, if it’s Read Only, that’s the point no ? That you can only read the file, not write to it ?

However on linux you can alter the permissions using chmod (from the command line). Make the file read/write and problem should be solved. (Unless you don’t have the authority to change the permissions of course)

Here’s some chmod info

Now there might be some groovey way to do that from ST or some kind of plugin that I don’t know about, I’m sure finer minds than mine will wade in if there is…

ATB Loz

0 Likes

Yes, of course! But the problem is ST3 locks-up for 10-20 seconds before telling me it is not writable. Hanging for this amount of time seem unreasonably long.

0 Likes

I can’t reproduce this delay. Have you tried reverting to a freshly installed state? Does it happen in other apps/on the command line if you try to write to the file normally?

0 Likes

Did a fresh sublime install. Same behavior.

This behavior does not occur for other editors. Attempted gedit, gvim, and nedit.

0 Likes

I have worked around this issue by creating an EventListener class. I use on_load_async() method to set the view as read-only depending on the file permissions on disk.

0 Likes