Sublime Forum

ST2: How to Page Up/Down without moving the cursor

I’m on OS X 10.8.4 using ST2. When I use the Home and End keys, the viewport moves and the cursor is left alone. This is standard Mac behavior, and what I’d expect.

However, when I use Page Up (pageup/pgup) and Page Down (pagedown/pgdn), the cursor moves along with the viewport. This is not how other apps on my platform behave, and it’s kind of driving me crazy.

How can I get ST2 to leave the cursor alone when using Page Up/Down?

0 Likes

I have partly figured this out. I have most of the behavior I want by adding this code to my user key bindings file (Sublime Text 2 > Preferences > Key Bindings - User):

{ "keys": "pageup"], "command": "scroll_lines", "args" : {"amount": 30.0} },
	{ "keys": "pagedown"], "command": "scroll_lines", "args" : {"amount": -30.0} }
]

Obviously, that’s not a complete solution, since it doesn’t move the viewport by a page at a time. Is there some way to get the number of lines displayed per page, and pass that into the “scroll_lines” command? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

You’d probably have to write a plugin… Here:

lines_in_view = len(view.lines(view.visible_region())) first_line,_ = view.rowcol(view.visible_region().begin()) view.show(view.text_point(first_line + lines_in_view, 0))

0 Likes

Beware that scroll_lines move the cursor along the viewport when you have only one cursor without selection.
This is not the behavior that I expect and I wrote this small plugin to resolve this issue:

[code]import sublime, sublime_plugin

class ScrollLinesFixedCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
“”“Must work exactly as builtin scroll_lines command, but without moving the cursor when it goes out of the visible area.”""
def run(self, edit, amount, by=“lines”):
# only needed if one empty selection
if by != “lines” or (len(self.view.sel()) == 1 and self.view.sel()[0].empty()):
maxy = self.view.layout_extent()[1] - self.view.line_height()
curx, cury = self.view.viewport_position()
if by == “pages”:
delta = self.view.viewport_extent()[1]
else:
delta = self.view.line_height()
nexty = min(max(cury - delta * amount, 0), maxy)
self.view.set_viewport_position((curx, nexty))
else:
self.view.run_command(“scroll_lines”, {“amount”: amount})

{ “keys”: “ctrl+up”], “command”: “scroll_lines_fixed”, “args”: {“amount”: 1.0 } },

{ “keys”: “ctrl+down”], “command”: “scroll_lines_fixed”, “args”: {“amount”: -1.0 } },

{ “keys”: “ctrl+pageup”], “command”: “scroll_lines_fixed”, “args”: {“by”: “pages”, “amount”: 1.0 } },

{ “keys”: “ctrl+pagedown”], “command”: “scroll_lines_fixed”, “args”: {“by”: “pages”, “amount”: -1.0 } },[/code]

1 Like

Thank you, thank you! This is just what I was hoping for. I’m annoyed that this is so difficult, but now at least the next person will be able to Google for this solution.

0 Likes

Thank you so much bizoo. and nk9.
It’s been a major help for me.

0 Likes