Sublime Forum

ST build 4147 randomly locks up

Hi,

I’ve been noticing the the editor sometime just freezes when performing regular edits - like just typing, or moving a block of lines up or down. I don’t think I have seen this behavior in a previous version. I’m on Mac OS X Monterey (v12.5.1). Any place I have look into to grab some logs or enable debugging in the editor?

Regards,
Bijoy Thomas

0 Likes

Does it happen in safe mode?

0 Likes

I haven’t tried to reproduce it in Safe Mode.

The behavior is hard to reproduce. It doesn’t always happen. It happened today afternoon and the previous time it happened was sometime last week.

0 Likes

Does it happen with a certain syntax?

Maybe certain expressions being edited?

ST locking up during normal edit operations sounds like syntax engine being involved.

0 Likes

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. This is using JavaScript. What’s the usual steps to gather data/logs when the editor locks up?

0 Likes

There’s no log to look for. I guess the best chance to find the issue is to provide the file it happened in, with some infos about what has been edited just before it locked up.

JS uses ST’s branching feature to handle the more complex syntax constructs. My hunch is, that one of the syntax rules is causing an infinite loop. The nature of this feature makes it hard for the syntax engine to fully avoid it.

Maybe we can narrow down the patterns/rules involved, with some examples.

0 Likes

A probably related issue has been reported at https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/5853

0 Likes

Yes it is! I am seeing the same behavior when copy pasting (but not all the time). Thank you for referencing it.

0 Likes

Hi, any timeline on when the fix for this will make it into the DEV branch?

0 Likes

The fix for this issue is what delays the next release on dev channel, according to a recent comment on Discord. Appears to be a nasty bug which requires some effort to get it fixed.

0 Likes

It sure is a nasty bug … having to force quit ST when it locks up and re-open is turning out to be a pain.

0 Likes