Sublime Forum

ST 4: Font Size Locked (Win 10)

I just upgraded from ST3 to ST4 in Win 10.

Did a clean install - uninstalled all previous instances of ST3 and started fresh.

The font size is locked at 10px. None of the following work:

1. Preferences.sublime-settings comments say:
// Note that the font_face and font_size are overridden in the platform
// specific settings file, for example, "Preferences (Linux).sublime-settings".
// Because of this, setting them here will have no effect: you must set them
// in your User File Preferences.

I looked for ā€œPreferences (Windows).sublime-settingsā€ in all the directories.

Does it exist? Where? :thinking:

1. Created file ā€œC:\Program Files\Sublime Text\Packages\user\Preferences (Windows).sublime-settingsā€ anyway ā€¦

Nothing.

1. Using CTRL+= command. No result

2. Setting font-face and font_size values in Preferences.sublime-settings (even though it says not to)

No result.

1. CTRL + Scroll wheel = Fail

I hear ST4 uses GPU to render? Something to do with this feature? Can it be turned off?

Simple problem. Fonts are tiny. Squinting to see. Very annoying. Please help :+1:

0 Likes

Yes, but itā€™s inside of a sublime-package file; if you want to see itā€™s contents, use View package File from the command palette and enter the name. However, all thatā€™s going to show you is what the defaults for windows are, because the file isnā€™t editable:

{
	"font_face": "Consolas",
	"font_size": 11,
	"focus_on_file_drop": true,
}

Sublime doesnā€™t load platform-specific settings files from the User package, so this would have no effect on anything.

It doesnā€™t tell you not to do this; in fact this is exactly how you would do this. When you use Preferences > Settings, the pane on the left is the default (uneditable) settings, and your preferences go into the right hand file.

The greater question is why changing the proper settings files (or using the keyboard shortcut and mouse shortcut you mention) are having no effect on anything. In particular, both of those methods should cause your Preferences.sublime-settings file to update; do they?

Note also that the settings in there are the global default settings, but itā€™s possible to override them on a file type by file type basis. So, does the font size not update for files of any type (plain text, Python, C, etc) or does it only affect a specific file?

It does, but itā€™s not turned on by default anywhere but MacOS; it would also have no effect on the font size changing.

0 Likes

Hey man! Odatnurd! I upgraded to ST4 today partly because of your features review :facepunch: Youā€™re famous :laughing: thanks for the info :pray:t2:

Yeah, thatā€™s the first thing that I tried. I upped to ST4 because ST3 was having issues with color schemes - wondered if I should just bail out and update to the new version and get the new features anyway. It fixed that issue and gave me this one. The file comments say:

// Note that the font_face and font_size are overridden in the platform
// specific settings file, for example, "Preferences (Linux).sublime-settings".
// Because of this, setting them here will have no effect: you must set them
// in your User File Preferences.
	"font_face": "",
	"font_size": 10,

I couldnā€™t find a platform-specific file, that was the first wtf moment.

So, does the font size not update for files of any type (plain text, Python, C, etc) or does it only affect a specific file?

So I just edited preferences in ā€˜Markdown-sublime-settingsā€™. Font size, font face and all other preferences are sticking for markdown files only. Other syntax files same story with their files.

Worked, ty! What happened to ā€˜Preferences - Userā€™ in the Preferences menu though. Wondering why the file structure is so confusing now :thinking:

0 Likes

In older versions of Sublime, various things (settings, key bindings) had two options, a - Default that would open the default file for a thing, and - User that specified the version of the file that you would use to augment the configuration from the defaults.

That has been changed (for anything new; older packages still present the old way) so that now thereā€™s a single option named e.g. Settings that opens a split window with the - Default on the left and the - User on the right.

The theory here is that in order to customize a thing you probably want to see the defaults so you know what youā€™re changing. The Defaults pane is generally uneditable as an extra guide that you should be putting your changes in the right hand side.

1 Like