Sublime Forum

[Solved] Sublime tabs do not show properly

Here’s how my code looks like in st3 (the indentation is weird)

Here’s how it looks like in Eclipse

Here’s how it looks like on Github

I am wondering what’s wrong. The only tab related setting I know that I’m using are

So I am wondering what happened lol
Just in case, here’s my user setting for st3:

Feel free to let me know what you think! Also, if you have any suggestion for my current setting, please comment below.

Thank you for your time!

-------- UPDATE - August 17th, 2019 --------

So, whats the issue?

The issue was caused by Eclipse’s code formatter which uses tabs under certain behavior.
As @OdatNurd mentioned in his reply, tab size in ST is 4, which caused the situation at line 32 (which uses tab)

Solution

I reformatted my code with another formatter profile which does not use tabs.

Reflection

Not using tab in your code is a good practice. Yes, do not use tabs. Replace them with spaces. Cuz the code representation may vary based under different editor settings. (attached are before and after comparison)

Thanks to @wbond for the debugging tip.
Thanks to @bschaaf for the first respond! I really appreciate it ^0^

Before (dot means space, long dash means tab)

After

0 Likes

Could you paste the code into the forums (or provide a link to the repo if it’s public) so that we can try to reproduce the issue?

0 Likes

My hunch would be mixed tabs and spaces combined with a different tab_size in Sublime Text. If you add the following setting to your Preferences, it will draw the whitespace, which would help identify such an issue:

"draw_white_space": "all",
3 Likes

repo will be https://github.com/zhongjis/keyword_search_engine_xlsm. Thank you!

0 Likes

hmmmm. looks like tab only occurs to appear as 4 spaces…

0 Likes

Based on that, it seems like perhaps the tab size in the other editors is 8; so the tab there appears as 8 spaces wide, indenting the return statement there. In Sublime where the tab size is set to 4, the tab appears as 4, so it’s no longer visually indented.

0 Likes

got it. thank you! going to update the post for solution.

0 Likes