Sublime Forum

[SOLVED] ST3 b.3143 under Linux: bookmark shortcuts stopped working

I recently upgraded my ST3 to build 3143 both under Windows and under Linux.

Bookmarks work OK under Windows. I set and unset them with Ctrl+F2, I go back to them with F2.

Unfortunately, bookmarks absolutely don’t work for me under Linux if I use the keyboard. I can set, delete, and navigate them using the menus. But this is hardly useful for me, since I don’t want to have to depend on mouse and menus. I just want to type Ctrl+F2 to set or delete a bookmark, as I used to do, and F2 to sequentally go to bookmarked places.

Are you suffering the same bug under Linux? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I’m using VoidLinux, by the way.

0 Likes

Bookmarks still seem to work just fine for me under Linux using that build.

Perhaps you have a plugin installed under Linux that is stealing the default key bindings away, or a keyboard mapping issue of some description (although that is less likely).

To check, you can open the Sublime console with Ctrl+` or View > Show Console and enter the following commands:

sublime.log_commands(True)
sublime.log_input(True)

Once you’ve done that, try to use the keyboard bindings to set a bookmark and jump to it and see what the console shows you. You should see something like this:

key evt: control+f2
command: toggle_bookmark
key evt: f2
command: next_bookmark

Seeing a different key event for the keys that you’re pressing would indicate that your keyboard mapping in Linux is somehow wonky, while seeing different commands would indicate that some other package is overriding the default key bindings. If that’s the case, whatever the command is will give you a clue as to what the offending package might be.

When you’re done testing, you can turn off the keyboard and input logging by running the same lines again using False instead of True, or just restart Sublime.

1 Like

Thank you OdatNurd!

I did as you suggested. My F2 and Shift+F2 keypresses get logged, but not my Ctrl+F2 keypresses:

command: next_book
key evt: shift+f2
command: prev_bookmark

I guess it could be the case that XFCE is intercepting Ctrl+F2 somehow. I get an extra cursor blink when pressing Ctrl+F2 in ST3, and no other effect in any other application.

When I press Alt+F2, by the way, I get XFCE’s Application Finder dialog box, which can easily be disabled as a system shorcut. Not so easy with Ctrl+F2, though.

0 Likes

OK I got it!

Ctrl+Fx is used in XFCE for “change to Workspace x”. Since I always disable Workspaces, I don’t get any action at all.

It interferes with ST bookmarks, but it can be overridden under Windows Manager settings. I just did!

2 Likes

I have this exact problem with Ubuntu 18.04 and sublime 3. Neither ctrl-f2 or alt-f2 trigger any log, which I interpret as meaning sublime is not getting the keystrokes. @monacci can you pls give a recipe to reproduce your fix?

0 Likes

Certainly. XFCE lets you configure your keyboard. Look for keyboard config in the menu (I have no access to XFCE normal menu, since I use Whisker menu). Then open the second tab (mine is called “Atajos de aplicación” – in English it should be “App Shortcuts” or someething similar). Then delete the lines that make use of Ctrl+F2. Voilà!

1 Like

Thank you!! I’ve been sorely missing making bookmarks for quite a while now, on my Lubuntu machines!

0 Likes