Sublime Forum

[Solved] Disable "Update Available" pop up?

Just install the Theme - Legacy package from Package Control. We aren’t directly supporting beta releases, and so I don’t think we’ll be going out of our way to make it easier to download an old version.

0 Likes

Is there a method which works with the portable version for Windows?

0 Likes

The update_check setting works the same in the portable version for Windows as it does for the regular versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. Note that it is still restricted to only work with licensed builds though.

1 Like

So - just to set context, I love Sublime Text, I have registered it, I’ll use it forever. That said:

Shouldn’t the update_check flag be listed in Default\Preferences.sublime-settings ?

Since it is not there (for sublimeText 3) you have to do a Google search and find this thread.

1 Like

I just signed up to thank you only.
I love sublime text too. But the update is annoying me too, so I was looking for the solution.

Thank Again

0 Likes

I did not select ‘update’.
I updated the program using my os repository and the message is gone :slight_smile:

the option update_check works only for paid customers.

0 Likes

“only paid versions support blocking update checks” is the answer you will find on the Github thread. Total dick move which will result in people(including myself) moving to VS Studio Code or other instead of paying up. Simply not worth it and good motivation to learn VIM. Sayonara

1 Like

“Total dick move…” stipulating this is true, why then abandon an editor that seems to be such a good match for you?

1 Like

As I said: not worth it AND intrusive. Text editors are a dime-a-dozen. Besides, if you care about “features” outside text editing you are probably a mediocre coder. Real programmers are happy with Notepad, Nano or VIM

1 Like

I have to agree with @pantone on this one. I have never heard of blocking settings behind a paywall before, but this is exactly what this is. A dick move. I opened an account here just to like his comments and reply here.

Won’t ever pay for this.

0 Likes

Really? Since the dawn of paid software allowing people to trial said software, features have been locked behind paywalls. This is not a new and innovative thing that Sublime Text is doing. That’s just how software has been, for literal decades. Another common approach is to not restrict features, but enforce a time limit in which the software can be trialed.

I’m always surprised when people complain about such things as Sublime Text limits so very little that I’m surprised they haven’t locked more stuff down to encourage people to purchase. They also allow an unlimited trial period. When I first trialed Sublime Text, I used it for close to an entire year before ever deciding to purchase it. This was quite a long time ago.

What I have observed is that many people who complain about such mild annoyances while trialing the software were never going to pay for it anyways. They want to use it for free, forever, without any annoyances and hope to pressure the developer to get what they want.

5 Likes

Key features are locked Nothing locked but ability to disable update notification
I need them. :pleading_face: This is stupid and I won’t pay for it. :pouting_cat:
5 Likes

Stock puppets never pay.

1 Like

@pantone @indru
hey guys I found a way to get Sublime Text for free. Just use this link.

1 Like

Since the dawn of paid software allowing people to trial said software, features have been locked behind paywalls.

Features, yes. Settings, no. Know the difference.

What I have observed is that many people who complain about such mild annoyances while trialing the software were never going to pay for it anyways.

Honestly, I would have paid maybe $20-$25 even with the annoying update notification setting locked behind the paywall. But $99 for a text editor? Nah, there are tons that do for free the same stuff.

|Key features are locked|Nothing locked but ability to disable update|
|—|---|
|I need them. :pleading_face:|This is stupid and I won’t pay for it. :pouting_cat:|

It’s the ability to disable UPDATE NOTIFICATIONS that is locked, not the ability to disable update. It’s an annoying and spammy pop-up that has nothing to do with functionality, so why even hide it behind a paywall? You’re just gonna annoy people with it, won’t solve anything.

0 Likes

Just wonder what exact feature(s) should be locked for unpaid users, in your opinion.

Hint: No matter what you suggest, I will say it should be free for trail (otherwise how I evaluate your software before buying it) and spammy pop-up is annoying indeed.

Honestly, I may pay for removing the annoying pop-up while saving a file, but I probably won’t pay for disabling the update checking as it can be easily, unethically but legally “fixed”.

0 Likes

And there we have it. You knew it was 99 going in and you’ve just told everyone you wouldnt pay that, so no intention of ever registering,

SHQ know how they want to run their business but personally I’m more than happy that anyone “evaluating” for extended periods finds they’re annoyed by popups, even if it results self-entitled whining on here.

0 Likes

That’s up to the developer, but they should be features, not settings. Blocking settings is a dick move, just like implementing that annoying popup was a dick move. I can check for updates myself, don’t need a reminder. I don’t think I even use any other software that constantly reminds me of updates using annoying popups.

0 Likes

Do feel free to stop using Sublime Text then.

0 Likes

Quick, click here and you will get a special offer for this incredible text editor.

0 Likes