Sublime Forum

Snippet management UI

Hi and thanks for Sublime Text. I’m really excited to finally be done with TextMate after it stagnated for years.

I have one suggestion: management of snippets is not a pleasant experience. If you want to open an existing template to edit it, you have to locate the file manually in a hidden folder that Finder won’t show you unless you know how. That last part is really a problem. Sure, Sublime Text is aimed at developers who are smart enough to find the file. But why force them to do that? Why force them to Google “Sublime Text snippets” to find the secret, hidden file? Couldn’t there be a UI action that opens the ~/Library/Application Support/Packages/User/ folder, to make it easy? And what about the users (potential customers) who won’t ever figure out how to locate that file, since the ~/Library folder is hidden in Finder?

Since snippets can be a waste of my time to manage, I find myself relying on them less than I did when I used TextMate for years. I don’t want to have to Google for file locations and manually hunt for configuration files just to adjust a snippet, so I end up just not using them.

0 Likes

I spent a lot of time working on my SMART_Snippets plugin, which is meant to improve/replace the default snippets. I stopped development for while as I finish a couple other projects but I’ll get back to it when I have time. (github.com/BoundInCode/SMART-Snippets)

0 Likes