Sublime Forum

SM vs Gitsavvy

Hello,

I’m here after a long time…own ST license from ST2 time, but didn’t use it much, hoping to achieve nirvana by using (neo)vim/Emacs…but, finally, concluded that all those require too much of my too precious time. :frowning_face:

For my personal projects I use Fossil, but in order to contribute to some open-source project @github/gitlab, I need to use Git, so considering buying SM (in a bundle with ST4 for which my licence has expired).

Now I wonder what would be recommended for typical contributor-workflow: clone, work on a local branch, upload, pull/merge-request?

Is SM alone enough for that, do I need something like Gitsavvy, both…?

Sincerely,
Gour

0 Likes

I think you got some guidance on this on the Discord, but just to also cover the same sort of thing here something to keep in mind is that Merge is free to try, the same as Text is (and is fully featured except you can’t choose the dark theme unless you have a license).

So all else being equal, it is probably work downloading a trial and working with it to see how well it fits with your flow.

In the technical sense, it is a GUI that sits on top of actual git (and in fact it uses actual git commands to perform all tasks, allowing you to see exactly what it did and what the results were).

Depending on your workstyle/workflow, it may well be enough (I use it for this purpose, for example).

Integrations with Sublime Text generally deal with being able to open repos for editing work, or jumping from Text to Merge to see the history of changes.

If you are used to a more fine grained workflow where, right from the editor you stage files and commit and etc, then GitSavvy may be more what you want.

You could also use both, relying on the relative strengths of both as needs arise.

0 Likes

That’s good to know. Thanks!

0 Likes

Wow! I’m interested in this. How can I see the actual GIT commands and output?

0 Likes

The panel that opens shows you the list of commands that were executed along the left (so you can go back through other things you have done), and the output for the selected command is visible on the right (you can also select and copy it).

2 Likes