Sublime Forum

Sitebar Folders doesn't stop loading and won't open

Hi there,

I’m so in love with Sublime since I found it. There is so much improvement in my work so we buyed Sublime for office. So worth it! Thanks!
I use Sublime on a Windows machine and use “Expandrive” to connect to our Server via SFTP. It “mount” the server as local drive so I can add the folders in the Server as projects and everything works so well, just an amazing improvement for me.

It went well for some months when I started to get some problems with my sitebar. It get worse and worse and now I’m almost unable to work with projects anymore. When I switch between project some folders need very long to load in the sitebar and some folders doesnt load at all. The icon keeps spinning / loading endless and I can’t open the folders.

I read so many topics and tried so many different things. I reinstalled Expandrive and used different versions. I changed to other Tools: WinSshFS or SFTP Net Drive. They all share the same behaivior. I dont think it has to do with mounting software. When I go trough the folders by windows explorer there is no problem at all. I tried to check and optimize my SSD to be sure there is no problem by store cache or something.
I tried to install Atom which seems not to have problems with the mounting. All folders open fast. But I want Sublime, not Atom! :smiley:

It seems to be just a Sublime Problem. I tried to delete the appData Local folders (index / Cache). This seems to help a little bit first but the more I use it the slower it becomes again. I tried to disable my theme and several packages … I also used a fresh, clean sublime, but still the same problem. I config the indexer to ignore big unneeded files and folders.

I actually dont know what to do anymore. I want my fast Sublime back that is able to use projects and the sitebar. I’ve seen the light! I can not go back to download, edit and upload files via FTP Client :-/ … It worked stable and fast once, I don’t know what just happend.

I really, really hope anyone can help me out here…

0 Likes

With SFTP Net Drive I see a Sent / Received Status that shows me: When I open up Sublime there is a constant traffic going on. After some Minutes with open project I have now 4 MB up and 22 MB down. Maybe while trying to crawl all folders sublime get stucked on an amount of big files or something … ? Shouldn’t to the indexer do that job? When I look at the Indexer Status it says: idle.

The indexer seems not wo run at all. I cleaned all data in Index and Cache. But when I open a project or folder the indexer does not start at all … is that normal?

This is so confusing … :frowning:

0 Likes

Unfortunately the conceptual way that Sublime Text works with files and folders isn’t going to work well with remote filesystems. Sublime creates a full catalog of all files and folders you add to the sidebar to enable Goto Anything. It then uses filesystem notifications to know when things change.

Unfortunately remote filesystems, especially something like FTP or SFTP are going to be very slow at listing the files (creating the catalog) and don’t support filesystem events. The alternative to filesystem notifications is to poll a folder and compare and see if any files have changes. Since file listings are slow, this ends up being slow also.

At some point I am planning to take a look and see why in some situations we get laggy working with remote filesystems, but due to the limitations discussed above, it won’t ever be like working locally.

0 Likes

Well I see and understand. But in that case I just don’t understand why It worked so well first. I used this setup for several months without any problems at all. Everything were pretty fast. I switched between projects within no time and added new folders with a big amount of files and data and had no problem at all.

If it never worked out that way I would totally get it, but it definitly worked. Something must have changed but I have no idea what. Maybe an update has to do with this? Can I download an older version of Sublime and see if it changes anything?

0 Likes

Okay, I loaded an older version (Build 3140) and cleaned all folder / files I could. Also again reinstalled completly fresh Expandrive.

I opened a Folder and boom: Instand folders! Also the crawler task is visible again and doing its work. It feels so fresh and stable as I remember (back in the good days).

The question is: How long will it stay like that. Last time I get it that fast again, the next the problem was back again. Maybe there is a problem in the last builds causing this. But maybe not and the problem will come back again within the next days. So I will keep you updated.

I hope SO much this is it!

0 Likes

FYI: I’m using now Build 3140 and SFTP Net Drive since 2 Days and it runs pretty well! Of course it is not the same as it were a local file system but an can work pretty good. So maybe it has to do with one of the last updates.

Im still not 100% sure the build did the trick, but it seems so. I will continue testing of course.

0 Likes