Sublime Forum

Sidebar font-size

hi guys,
my first question:
is it possible to get a bigger font for the sidebar, or where can I change it in the theme.
reason: I am over 70 years old and would like to see my code without glasses :grinning:
thx Max

2 Likes

Using the PackageDev package, you can easily change the font size. Open the command palette with ctrl + shift + p and search for PackageDev: Edit Current Theme (After you install the package from package control. You can find it here) Selecting the option will open a new split window with the default settings on the left side & user defined settings (this is the place where you will define anything suiting your tastes with the left hand settings as a reference) on the right side. Add the following to the rules array

{
	"class": "sidebar_label",
	"font.size":  your_prefered_font_size,
}

Replace your_prefered_font_size with the font size you like. Save & the changes will take effect.

Aliter

If you donā€™t want to install an additional package just for that purpose, you can also do it another way. Search for Preferences: Settings in the command palette. It will again open a new split window. Just check in the user settings, which theme you are using. For example, mine shows Adaptive.sublime-theme. Then go to Preferences -> Browse Packages from the main top menu. Create a new file in the User directory and name it Adaptive.sublime-theme (yourā€™s might be different). Paste in the following:

{
	// http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/themes.html
	"variables": {
		// "font_face": "system",
	},
	"rules": [

],
}

Add the json shown in the first solution to the rules array and saving should increase the desired font size.

4 Likes

sorry,
Sublime has crashed
must install completely new
Max

0 Likes

Hi,
ST works again
@UltraInstinct05 : PackageDev: installed
didnā€™t find Edit Current Theme
{ ā€œclassā€: ā€œsidebar_labelā€, ā€œfont.sizeā€: your_prefered_font_size,}
had no effect
perhaps I did something wrong

BUT

@Aliter: it works, thank you

Max

0 Likes

hello again,
if change the theme, i have to make for each theme a new file ***.sublime-theme into my user-folder ?
is that right ?
or is there a better place, perhaps in the themeā€™s folder ?

Max

0 Likes

Any personal settings will go into the User directory. You canā€™t change the original theme files. Just try & edit them. Youā€™d see they are non-editable. If you change the theme, then yes youā€™d again have to create a new .sublime-theme file in the User directory and place your custom settings there. Sublime will override the default settings with that.

0 Likes

It works for me. Did you check the console for any errors after you installed the package ? You can access the console by pressing ctrl + ` on windows/linux or cmd + ` on MacOS (I believe).

0 Likes

good morning UltraInstinct05
Iā€™ve installed PackageDev: Edit Current Theme
I did, what youā€™ve said and
following console error appeared after changing font.size and saving:

Unable to open /C/Users/Herla/AppData/Roaming/Sublime Text 3/Packages/PackageDev/Package/PackageDev.sublime-settings<
and ā€¦ there is really no /Sublime Text 3/Packages/PackageDev/

I found >PackageDev.sublime-settings< in the Users folder ???
ā€¦
your second solution still worked
I deleted for short time my self-made ā€œAdaptive.sublime-themeā€ in the user-folder
same error.
my sidebar-font-size has changed, but not with PackageDev

?? Max

by the way
how did you make the GIF ??

0 Likes

I canā€™t tell offhand why PackageDev may not be working but if the Aliter worked for you, I think itā€™s fine :slightly_smiling_face:
The GIF is recorded using this neat tool for Windows.

0 Likes

heureka
it was worth thinking :grin:
Tools->Packages->Package Development ā€¦ there is the whole stuff
it works
thanks a lot
Max

0 Likes

As I recall, Windows places files depending on whether you install for all users or the current user. Application or system files go in one place and then user-specific config files go under either a user-specific folder or a shared folder for all users. Maybe something in Sublime expected you to install for all users

0 Likes