Sublime Forum

Showing vertical scroll bars permanenty

Hello,

I want to set the scrollbar to be permanently visible on Sublime Merge.

I am working on a laptop with Citrix and unfortunately if I unplug the physical mouse and I use only the built-in touchpad when I go with the cursor hovering where the scrollbar should appear it doesn’t appear. Too bad this makes my laptop mouse dependent, which I would like to avoid.

Do you know how can I permanently show scroll bars in Sublime Merge?

Actually the problem is the scrollbars appears only when you rotate the scroll wheel of the mouse and the touchpad doesn’t have such scroll wheel.

0 Likes

Did you try putting this in your Sublime Merge preferences file?

"overlay_scroll_bars": "disabled"
0 Likes

Tried that now, but nothing changed. It seems that any value of overlay_scroll_bars (enabled, disabled) is completely ignored.

0 Likes

What theme are you using in Sublime Merge? Maybe the theme isn’t configured to respect that setting?

Or maybe you need to set "overlay_scroll_bars": false instead of disabled.

0 Likes

Thanks @kingkeith, I have tried now with "overlay_scroll_bars": false but nothing changed.

0 Likes

I can confirm that my Merge (Build 2094) has within it’s Preferences,.sublime-settings:

"overlay_scroll_bars": "disabled",

And as a result all scrollbars are always visible.

What OS is Merge running on?

0 Likes

The OS is Suse Linux but I am running on reverse X server (using MobaXterm) on a Windows host. Which means Sublime Merge is running on a remote Linux and its window appears on my local Windows machine where the SSH client is running.

0 Likes

The test I did above was in fact on my Linux machine. I would imagine that should work unless there is something funky going on with the X server.

Does it help to quit Merge completely, start with it with smerge --safe-mode, and then set the setting there?

0 Likes

Hi @ovidiugabriel,

To also rule things out, could you confirm if you have a custom Sublime Merge theme?

Kind regards,
- Dylan from Sublime HQ

0 Likes

Hello @djohnston,

I don’t have any custom Sublime Merge theme, I am using the default light theme.

0 Likes

Try one of the following in SUSE’s default shell:

export GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0

dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/overlay-scrolling false

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface overlay-scrolling false

1 Like

Thanks a lot @2cents, it worked with:

export GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface overlay-scrolling false

The dconf command is probably redundant and not required.

$ dconf
bash: dconf: command not found
0 Likes

I’m glad it worked out for you as I had that exact same issue. Sublime Text 4 in an Xfce desktop environment on Debian with the ST4 preference:

"overlay_scroll_bars": "disabled"

seemed to be completely ignored. I applied the donf/gsettings (yes, redundant commands) and that allowed me at least always have visible scrollbars within ST4. Setting the overlay-scrolling key to false may impact the visibility state of scrollbars in other programs if they happen to read settings from org.gnome.desktop.interface but for the time being, it does the job.

0 Likes