Sublime Forum

Show hidden special characters like Carriage Return, Line Feed etc

Hi

Is there a way to show hidden characters like carriage return, line feed etc. in Sublime Text 3. I am okay to install a package that does this. I did some searches on google but none of them actually worked for me.

I need this very badly at work. Please help!

-Rajeev Sagar

0 Likes

https://packagecontrol.io/packages/RawLineEdit

0 Likes

I tried this… didn’t work… am i missing something?

0 Likes

Did you read its documentation? It will not show line endings all the time, it doesn’t make sense to as Sublime normalizes all line endings. What it allows you to do is open a file in a special mode that opens the file without normalizing the line endings. It allows you to modify the line endings in this mode if you wish (I never do as I use it just to view line endings for debugging on occasions).

So normal Sublime editing normalizes all line endings to be the same, so showing a line ending glyph doesn’t make sense in normal editing. Simply look down in the status bar and you will see whether line endings are Windows, Unix, or macOS.

0 Likes

Just to add to what facelessuser has writtten, if you bring up the Command Palette and choose Raw Line Edit: toggle you will see the line endings in the current file. You may also wish to change some of the package settings by changing them in Settings-User for that package.

0 Likes

Thanks all. I had the same problem as BunnyRajeev, but I got there in the end after reading Jackeroo’s comment.

It would be good to be able to toggle this on and off from a menu item.

0 Likes

Quick workaround:

Use search:

Press Ctrl+F, type in searchterm or regex, and see your specialchars highlighted. You can still write and edit as you like.

0 Likes