Sublime Forum

show_definitions behavior

Dev build 3116 introduced “Hovering over a symbol” shows a popup. This is really nice, however if a link it chosen in the popup, it always opens a copy of the appropriate file – even if it’s already open in another pane. Can’t the open files be checked to see if it’s in another pane and jump to that? Am I the only one using this very cool feature?!

3 Likes

maybe its enough to edit the Packages/Default/symbol.py open_location method and remove the FORCE_GROUP flag? Alternatively, one could use the window.find_open_file API method along with window.focus_view method.

0 Likes

I actually only get totally useless info in the definitions dropdown. Just another feature to disable.

The feature is way to buggy.

Reasons why I think this should be ‘false’ per default.

• sometimes it opens, sometimes it doesn’t
  • content is useless
  • distracts from work

Why can’t sublime just be super low level and do a few thing good while the rest is just addons.
Who really needs definitions? pretty sure it’s less than 50% of the users.

Issues like these cost time because I have to google for this new “bug” then disable and try to remember what I was previously working on.

0 Likes

I use it and I like it. It could probably use some usability improvements however, like prioritizing symbols of the same language and grouping symbols by language in general.

0 Likes