Sublime Forum

Show cursor position in gutter permanently

Is it possible to highlight the gutter area where the cursor (“caret”) is, to be able to quickly see its position?

I know highlight_line exists, which is great, but I like the gutter to show the cursor position permanently, like when you hover the mouse over the gutter.

0 Likes

The gutter is highlighted by default. You can also see the caret position in the footer.

0 Likes

Thanks for a fast reply. I now realize that it’s not actually the cursor position, but the position of the displayed text I’d like to have highlighted in the gutter, sorry for that. I have updated the title to reflect that.

But the gutter is not highlighted in my set up, perhaps it has been disabled?

Cursor left of gutter, position in text not highlighted:

Cursor hover over gutter, position in the text is highlighted:

0 Likes

That seems like an issue with your specific setup. Make sure the "highlight_gutter" setting is enabled and perhaps check other color schemes.

0 Likes

I checked the default settings, and it is set to "highlight_gutter": true, which I haven’t added to my own settings. I tried adding it to my own settings (with true) which made no difference, and also switching to another color scheme, with the same result.

It is really odd …

0 Likes

Does it happen in safe mode?

0 Likes

Yes, it’s the same behavior. I am running Ubuntu 20.04, if that’s useful.

Safe-mode enabled

Gutter not highlighted by default

Hover, and gutter is highlighted

0 Likes

you’re talking about the minimap, not the gutter.

"always_show_minimap_viewport": true,

2 Likes

@kingkeith, you live up to your name :slight_smile: … problem solved!

In the process I learned the useful debug feature from you @bschaaf, so thanks a lot to both of your for helping out a fellow Sublime Text user.

1 Like