Sublime Forum

Should I avoid syncing workspace files across computers with dropbox even if I can take care of the absolute path issue?

Suppose the following simple scenario:

On my two PCs, Sublime Text are both located at C:/Dropbox/Portable Apps/Sublime Text 3/
And my coding work are both located at C:/Dropbox/Coding Work/

So obviously, my user folder and all my codes are perfectly synced at the same absolutely path.

Now, I’m considering putting my .sublime-project files inside the user folder, so my projects can be synced too. This should work, but I don’t know if that will mess up the .sublime-workspace files when I use the two computers interchangeably. Their sessions and views are obviously different, will I create some chaos?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Try it out.

From what I’ve seen, when I open a new window, it isn’t associated with that workspace or project, but it will open when I re-open sublime text, and if I open a different project, only the main window is opened. Also, the views / tabs are stored and they will be reopened, closed, etc… based on the session so if your views are different then you may run into some issues there…

From that, I’d have to believe that it shouldn’t change the window being opened - however since the layout is different… if that is saved, then you may run into issues…

Why do you run a different layout on a different computer? Work environments should be kept as uniform as possible to avoid running into issues.

Now, to avoid running into issues, I’d suggest utilizing Sublime Text Workspace / Project environment to the maximum of its ability…

Create a project, then create a workspace for the project… If you edit Garry’s Mod, for instance, take all vgui files and put them in one workspace… All weapon files in another, entities in another, etc… and name them accordingly so if you need to edit a vgui file, or SWEP or ent, then you can load the appropriate workspace for that project.

It’s good to structure it this way because it makes finding things in a project that much easier… It also helps preventing having a ton of unrelated files opened in a single window…

0 Likes