Sublime Forum

Shortcuts on international keyboards?

Hi!

Lots of shortcuts are quirky on international keyboards.

Slash on my Swedish keyboard for example is typed by pressing shift+7. Therefor “slash” is not a viable option as a key name.

Key names that are viable options on my keyboard are paragraph/asterix/comma/dot/line/Right single quotation mark/Umlaut/Acute/plus

Is there any way to fix this?

I am sure there is a good reason why these are not included as key names and that you left out international standards. From what I know only Adobe are enough ass hats to intentionally f**k over all their international customers and prohibiting international shortcuts (yes I am unfortunate to work with Adobe products on a daily basis).

0 Likes

Open the Python console (View > Show Console from the main menu) and try enabling logging like this:

sublime.log_commands(True) # will display the name of the command just triggered
sublime.log_input(True) # will display the name of the key just pressed

This should help you figure out how to add key bindings for your keyboard’s locale and layout combination.

1 Like

The command seems to be triggered by wrong keyboard shortcut

I have the same problem. What can I do about it? I am using Sublime Text version 3.

For comparison, here is how it works in VS Code. With Swedish layout:

As you can see, the key combination is Ctrl + '

0 Likes

Then you switch it over to English and you get:

See how the key bindings that are listed in the menus change? That’s just brilliant! You would think that this stuff is hard coded, but it’s not. The key bindings of course change accordingly. There is no need to make any kind of configuration changes. It’s all done for you.

Why can’t we have something like this for Sublime Text 3? I don’t want to keep toggling my keyboard layouts just so I can use some useful shortcuts like commenting out code.

On the other hand, I am trying really hard here to resist adopting VS Code. Mainly because it is slower, and unlike Sublime Text it is based on web technology. It’s not a “proper” desktop application written in C++ which is something I like about Sublime. I am looking for a new editor and I am testing Sublime against VS Code. It’s a close race, and I want to see Sublime winning it! But right now, Sublime is losing in the department of international keyboard support.

0 Likes