Sublime Forum

Shortcuts are broken on non-US layout on Linux Wayland, works fine with X11

Hello, Sublime shortcuts does not work when I switch to Russian layout on Fedora 29 Gnome Wayland. Sublime version is 3176. But when I focus menu with a mouse it starts to work. Seems like Sublime cannot register layout switch when focus is in text editor and can register it when in Sublime menu. Sublime on Gnome Classic(X11) works fine.

locale status

System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_TIME=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=ru_RU.UTF-8
VC Keymap: us,ru
X11 Layout: us,ru
X11 Model: pc105

0 Likes

I believe that the recent dev builds fixed problems with Wayland.

1 Like

Thank you. Sublime build 3184 works like a charm. Sorry for off topic, do you know the source of the problem, I have similar problems with other applications and cannot find universal walk-around. May be some configuration changing keyboard layout to English on Ctrl pressed and change back on Ctrl release can do the trick.

0 Likes

Sorry, I use Ubuntu and X11. Perhaps the developer or another knowledgeable person can explain it to you.

0 Likes

Some research brought up this article which may help you.

1 Like

Agree with you, this is really annoying. As a temporary workaround I’ve added custom shortcuts with Cyrillic letters for frequently used commands in /Packages/User/Default (Linux).sublime-keymap file. For example:

// Cyrillic layout in Linux: Title Case
    { "keys": ["ctrl+л", "ctrl+ш"], "command": "title_case" },
    // Cyrillic layout in Linux: UPPER CASE
    { "keys": ["ctrl+л", "ctrl+г"], "command": "upper_case" },
    // Cyrillic layout in Linux: lower case
    { "keys": ["ctrl+л", "ctrl+д"], "command": "lower_case" },
1 Like

I’m on Wayland and use the US english layout for coding and another one for writing, and Sublime keybindings don’t recognize when I change layout, as described above.

A simple workaround was to set the US layout as the default layout on my system. That way Sublime keybindings are stuck on the US layout, which works fine for me.

1 Like

We’ve implemented proper key handling, which should work identically to other gtk applications. It works as expected with Russian and UK layouts. This fix is already in the latest Sublime Merge dev build and will be in the next Sublime Text build.

2 Likes

Still struggling with that even on X11, looks like it was working for some period but has been broken after system or Sublime updates. My build is 3211. Is there estimated for the release?

Nice to hear that it is going to be fixed.

0 Likes

Are there any news regarding the next Sublime Text build?

0 Likes

The next major version of Sublime Text (Sublime Text 4, but really just Sublime Text moving forward) as been in constant development & in private discrete beta for over a year in ST’s official discord. If you have a valid license, you can join the discord server and grab yourself a copy of ST4.

0 Likes