Sublime Forum

Search Within Files/Folders

I’d love if SublimeText could allow me to search within files/folders. Currently I resort to PSPad to get that done.

0 Likes

you have other dedicated tools that can do that:

grep on linux/mac
wingrep on windows

why to invent the wheel in sublime?

p.s. i guess you can even do it with a self made python plug-in

0 Likes

I’d like to see searching within sublime, especially in conjunction with projects.

I have some plans in this area, but I haven’t sat down and worked out all the details yet.

0 Likes

Closest thing we have is sublimetextwiki.com/pages/SearchInFiles.html

But I agree, just use something else, in my case I use total commander, but you can also use suggestions vim said or one of my favorites powerGREP from the guys that made regexbuddy :smile:

I rather have sublime do 1 thing good than try to do every feature every other editor has in earth and fail at those… KISS concept :smile:

0 Likes

PowerGREP looks powerful but fairly complicated. I did a quick file search and the performance was awesome.

How does the SearchInFiles work if it isn’t broken (actually I installed it just now but I can’t find the function anywhere).

0 Likes

i couldn’t get it to work :s

0 Likes

nick, can you make a screen cast of you using it, nothing too complex, just do 1 simple search on a simple project, maybe i just don’t know what to expect.

thanks a lot, vim.

0 Likes

[quote=“sublimator”]The perl modifiers Jon taught me about the other day work for python, eg prepending the regex with (?i)

(?i)sets as case insensitive[/quote]

Yup they are indeed very useful

[quote] /i makes the regex match case insensitive.
/s enables “single-line mode”. In this mode, the dot matches newlines.
/m enables “multi-line mode”. In this mode, the caret and dollar match before and after newlines in the subject string.
/x enables “free-spacing mode”. In this mode, whitespace between regex tokens is ignored, and an unescaped # starts a comment.

in Python do:

(?simx)YOUR_REGEX_PATTERN

regular-expressions.info/modifiers.html
[/quote]

I personally use a lot /i and /m the most, but specially /m! is a freaking life saver :smiley:

0 Likes

@ sublimator

thanks! got it. i didn’t realize i need to press the ctrl-alt-shift-f from inside the find panel.

0 Likes