Sublime Forum

Saved files are opening blank

I had to reboot my Mac so I saved all of my ST tabs before closing the application. All of the files I saved are listed under the “Open Recent” but when selected there is no information in the file.

I am also unable to find the files using Finder to attempt to open them with another text editor. After the restart I created two test documents and I cannot find those either. I left the default location as “Macintosh HD”, I figured I would be able to reopen them with the Open Recent option so no point in saving to a specific location.

I have since created a third test document saved to my Desktop, that one was able to reopen just fine. How do I find these other files? I have used keywords in the search bar and sifted through every folder I can think of, still not able to find anything. Two of the documents I initially saved have important research notes, not finding them would result in hours of lost work.

0 Likes

Trying to save files under “Macintosh HD” prompts for an admin password and if canceled shows a warning that the file was not saved. I don’t see how you could save them in that location without knowingly cancelling or it properly succeeding.

What are the paths that show in the recent file list?

0 Likes

For the files with the issue, it does not show the path. In the Open Recent menu it only shows “/File Name”. For the one test file I mentioned that does work, the proper file path is shown.

It does appear to be letting me save to “MacintoshHD”, no error messages or anything to alert to a failure.

0 Likes

It does appear to be letting me save to “MacintoshHD”, no error messages or anything to alert to a failure.

Does saving files there actually work? I don’t see how that could possibly work unless you’re running Sublime Text using admin privileges.

0 Likes