Sublime Forum

Save dialog autofocus on file name

On macOS Catalina when I press CMD + S on an empty new file, the dialog opens with filename “untitled” but the autofocus is not on file name. I have to manually click on the file name field to start editing. Is it possible to set autofocus on file name?

0 Likes

Using macOS 10.15.7 and it focuses on the file name in the save dialog for me.

0 Likes

Noticing the same issue on Big Sur Beta (11.0.1; 20B5012d) with ST3 Build 3210. I don’t think I noticed this issue when I was using Catalina, but I’ve been Beta testing Big Sur for a bit; perhaps an OS update that’s seen in both the latest version of Catalina and Big Sur might be causing this?

1 Like

BTW, since pressing Tab cycles through the various fields in the Save dialog, I noticed that I can get the file name in focus by pressing Tab five times.

0 Likes

We just use the default NSSavePanel, which doesn’t have any direct way of configuring the focus. If this is something that’s changed in Big Sur my suggestion would be to file a bug with Apple.

0 Likes

Big Sur is now out in the wild and this problem persists. It is in some way Sublime-specific. If I open a new file in TextEdit and hit Cmd-S the filename is highlighted in the resultant dialog. In Sublime 3.2.2, Build 3211 “nothing” has the focus and I need to press Tab four times to get to the filename dialog. (Three times if I turn off “Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls” in Keyboard.prefPane.) Shift-Tab once from the initial state takes me to the Save button.

Steps to reproduce:

• Open Sublime Text 3.2.2, Build 3211 on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1
  • File, New File (Cmd-N)
  • File, Save (Cmd-S)

Expected:

• Filename will be highlighted and in focus. Typing will overwrite default filename.

Actual:

• Nothing appears to be in focus. Pressing Tab several times is required to get the filename in focus.
0 Likes

I’ve moved this to an issue on our issue tracker: https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/3802

0 Likes