Sublime Forum

Russian encoding symbols incorrect display

If I make a file in default windows notepad and fill it with Russian text manually, it displays incorrectly.

The file itself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6nA_MiY6AWWGNFSjlOOGpBeEU/view?usp=sharing

0 Likes

Use the File > Reopen with Encoding menu.

You can also set the setting fallback_encoding if you deal with non-ASCII, non-UTF8 files and they tend to be in a specific encoding.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. I’ll try this option when I meet such file again. But why won’t it automatically recognize it?

0 Likes

typically, saving a file in Windows Notepad defaults to ANSI encoding, in which your Russian characters are saved incorrectly, and thus I don’t think it is ST’s fault…? Notepad isn’t a first class text editor, unlike ST3. what happens if you close and re-open the file in Notepad?

0 Likes

That would depend on what your system’s default ANSI encoding is. It could be Windows 1251.

0 Likes

The reason I started this thread is that sometimes I’m unable to cycle through encodings to get visible text. And it’s ok to open those with notepad++ or default windows notepad. This file reopens with encoding fine, but at my job I have some scary files that can’t be reopened and visible at all.

0 Likes