Sublime Forum

Revtangular selection problems

I recently started to use Sublime Text 2 and am loving it already. I seem to have a problem with making rectangular selections though. As I understand it, it should be possible with alt+drag. However, I always get regular selections no matter which modifier(s) I use when dragging. Also Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down doesn’t do anything at all. The only way I can make multiple selections is with Command+Click, and of course Command+Shift+L to convert a regular selection.

I just want to make a column selection in order to, for instance, insert some text in the middle of several lines.

Am I totally misunderstanding how this should work? If this was a general problem, I’d expect to see more forum posts about it.

0 Likes

shift+right mouse button
Look at Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\Default (xxx).sublime-mousemap

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]shift+right mouse button
Look at Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\Default (xxx).sublime-mousemap[/quote]

OK, thanks. This is OSX and there’s no shift+button2 mapping present. And since I exclusively use a trackpad, button3 does not work either.

But changing the alt+button1 mapping to super+button1 made it work the way it should. I don’t think I have anything installed that intercepts this, so it is weird that it was needed. I also changed ctrl+shift+up/down to ctrl+super+up/down, and now the key mappings also work.

Has anyone else had similar problems when some key and mouse mappings are mysteriously disabled?

This is on Mac OS 10.7.2

0 Likes

I also had this same problem. Removing the SublimeCodeIntel package fixed it for me. The default alt/option + drag works again.

0 Likes

Bug, build 2150: column selection not working in osx

Sorry, but for SublimeCodeIntel is THE masterkiller feature of sublime text, so removing it is a kill for me.

So let me just encourage you keeping SublimeCodeIntel and use the behavior: “cmd” + “alt” + [right clic] -> it works perfectly with CodeIntel (since it’s a “build in” behaviour for mac) and allows multiple column selection (and if you want just one selection, just clic randomly in your file before selection).

0 Likes

I fixed this by copying this:

~/Library/Application Support/Sublime\ Text\ 2/Packages/Default/Default\ (OSX).sublime-mousemap

to:

~/Library/Application Support/Sublime\ Text\ 2/Packages/User/Default\ (OSX).sublime-mousemap

Blog post about it http://blog.suranyami.com/fix-for-sublime-text-2-column-select-not-work

0 Likes

I have SublimeCodeIntel installed and my Option+Drag was not providing column select on OS X (10.8) in Sublime 2.

I verified that Cmd+Option+Drag does work.

I also followed instructions on github.com/Kronuz/SublimeCodeIntel to copy the mouse map into from Default Sublime preferences to User Sublime preferences and my Option+Drag began to work again immediately. I noticed there was not default mouse map in my User Sublime preferences before copying.

0 Likes