Sublime Forum

Retrieve Old Monokai Color Scheme

Hello folks,

After the update today, the monokai theme has changed to PHP syntax.

For example, the superglobals ($_POST, $_SESSION, etc) were white and not italicized. Now it’s orange and italicized.

I lost my visual habits and … my productivity.
It’s a very small detail… but when it’s been several years, it’s hard to change it.

Can you tell me how to revert to the previous version?

Thank’s!

1 Like

The scope name of those variables has changed from variable.other to variable.language to reflect them being predefined variables provided by php language.

Many syntaxes do it that way.

Monokai color scheme hasn’t changed. It’s just another rule which applies now.

Any active color scheme can be customized.

1. Open Command Palette
  2. Invoke UI: Customize Color Scheme
  3. Add a rule into the right view

To turn launguage variables into white the following the right view should look like:

// Documentation at https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/color_schemes.html
{
	"rules":
	[
		{
			"name": "Language variable",
			"scope": "variable.language",
			"foreground": "var(white)",
			"font_style": "normal"
		},

]
}
1 Like

New version breaks yaml syntax highlighting

Thank’u very much deathaxe !

0 Likes

Hello,

I’m reviving this topic.
How to find the old syntax highlighting?

there are many things that are no longer colored the same way. It bothers me a lot, and it would take too long to list everything (tables, functions in the html for example, variable $this, etc etc)

Without necessarily downgrading.

I’ve been using ST for 10 years… There have been other syntax highlighting changes, but this one is really too confusing for me.

Thank’s for ur help

1 Like

Monokai color scheme hasn’t changed for ages.

The reason for changed highlighting is on-going work on syntax definitions, in order to apply a common scope naming scheme to all syntax definitions shipped with ST.

The goal is to create same highlighting experience across syntaxes with a minimum set of color-scheme rules needed, instead of requiring color schemes to implement syntax specific rules.

The solution would be to update Monokai color scheme to reduce impact on highlighting changes. Depending on certain syntaxes those might not be avoidable completely though.

0 Likes