Sublime Forum

Restoring unsaved data from binary autosaved sessions

Hello! I’m a Sublime Text fan and I’ve been using it for a couple if years, but recently I faced a problem. I lost my unsaved data because of my hdd issue. I know that ST3 saves all session data into a json file, but this file is corrupted and after re-launching there were no tabs, no open files and the session file is just a new empty session file. But I have restored a couple of Auto Save Session.sublime_session files, but they seem to be completely binary files. Can I retreive data from such files? Could you help me, please?
Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

The session files should be JSON. If you are seeing binary gibberish, that makes me think the file was corrupted.

0 Likes

And there is no way to fetch at least something from them?

0 Likes

Not that I know of. The file should be JSON. If it is not JSON, I would presume there is no “real” data there.

0 Likes

Huh… I see. Pity. Yes, I’m watching the files now, it’s a mess of different file types, code and something else. Looks like if the recovery util took a part of one file, a part of picture and a couple of session file lines together. There was nothing REALLY important, but some work done and ideas. But its okay.
Well, anyway thank you for your time and attention.

0 Likes

Hello, maybe it’s a little late to apply your problem, but I hope my solution can also do something. If your data is corrupted, you may need to apply a third party tool, I think the Bitwar is good, you can have a try. Hope can help you anyway.

0 Likes