Sublime Forum

[Request] Right-click to open folder in Windows

In Windows, Sublime Text 3 installs shell extensions (or whatever you call them) so that when you right-click on a text file, there’s an “Open with Sublime Text” option.

It would be nice if it installed an “Open with Sublime Text” option for directories, too. My major way of using Sublime Text with projects is to have a folder open in ST. On Mac, I use the subl command to open directories from the shell. I don’t see an easy equivalent of that on the Windows side. And because it’s Windows, I’m in a shell less often, and using Windows Explorer more often.

For that matter, it would be nice if there were a right-click “Open with Sublime Text” option for directories on the Mac, too. Maybe it could be done with the “Services” thing.

1 Like

1 Like

You may interest in https://github.com/jfcherng/Sublime-Portable-Tool. It just does quite the same things with the thread above but in a single .exe file.

0 Likes

Excellent. Thanks.

0 Likes

Ah, looks like this is a duplicate of "Add explorer context menu" for directories.

1 Like

I have added the sublime text’s icon to the “Open with sublime text” option (for text files). And also added this option to folders myself. This only works if you put the registry in a file, or edit the registry yourself.

Here’s how:

1. Open Registry Editor
  2. Go to HKEY_KEYS_ROOT (may not correct name lol)
  3. Open the key “*”.
  4. If you have any app installed (like Visual Studio Code) so VS Code will be have a registry key under this * key. Create the same key like that, but in icon, change the icon path to sublime text’s .exe file path and the command. It adds the icon to files.
  5. Add that same key which u made under * (should be named “Open with Sublime Text”) to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder. That same key will also work for folders, now registry is done. You can export it to save.
0 Likes

Fwiw, I have created https://packagecontrol.io/packages/WindowsContextMenu

1 Like