Sublime Forum

Regression: search settings are lost between ST3 sessions

Hi,

I have probably missed something obvious but for a couple of development versions, it seems that ST3 no longer remember the Search settings, such as “case sensitive” and “use buffer” from one session to another and keeps reverting to its default configuration.

• how to define a default configuration?
  • how to preserve the last used settings?

Thanks,
Manu

2 Likes

this is currently not possible. The find history was deliberately removed for new windows in build 3135, with no explanation as to why, and no way to get the old behavior back. (At least 3136 fixed it when dragging tabs into new windows, so it seems SublimeHQ are listening to some feedback.)

0 Likes

I don’t want to Use Buffer, ever.

0 Likes

Too bad, it just gets on my nerves.

@kingkeith: thanks for the feedback

Even when the Session.sublime_session is edited and fixed, ST3 seems to use it at start up, then overrides the settings with its own.

I can’t help thinking it is a bug, not a deliberate feature. Maybe Find History can be thrown, the overriding user preferences looks like a bug. Is there a bug tracker ?

@frou: it can be useful on some occasion, but I’d really like to be disable by default in my environment.

0 Likes

New beta build, no fix :frowning2:

I hope someone will listen to this boring regression before the final release.

2 Likes

The first time I use Find in Files in a new Sublime process now always causes annoyance:

1. Press Cmd-Shift-F
  2. Search for a string
  3. Oh… why are the results being shown in a tab and with tons of uninteresting lines mixed in? Damn, Use Buffer and Show Context must have become checked again.
  4. Press Cmd-W
  5. Press Cmd-Shift-F
  6. Uncheck Use Buffer
  7. Uncheck Show Context
  8. Search for a string

What used to be an efficient 2-step thing is now 8-steps.

1 Like

I opened it on the Core issue tracker:

1. Core$1795 Regression: search settings are lost between ST3 sessions

May be some information is missing. Which one is yours:

Environment

• Operating system and version:
    • Windows …
    • Mac OS …
    • Linux …
  • Monitor:
    • Resolution …
    • dpi_scale used in ST …
  • Sublime Text:
    • Build 3…
    • … bit
0 Likes

It seems the issue does not show up anymore with the latest build (3141). The issue was on a macOS Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73), on two Mac Book Pro Retina (w/ and w/o external 4K display), with the last 3 builds.

0 Likes

Still seeing these problems on the latest build of MacOS 10.12.6 (16G24b) and ST3 3141.

0 Likes

Maybe it is a transient issue after all, as I pretty sure I saw it at least once after I upgraded to b3141, then it disappeared by the time I was trying to reproduce it once again after reading out the post from addons_zz…

I found this configuration section in Local/Session.sublime_session

"find_state":
		{
			"case_sensitive": false,
			"find_history":
			[
			],
			"highlight": true,
			"in_selection": false,
			"preserve_case": false,
			"regex": false,
			"replace_history":
			[
			],
			"reverse": false,
			"show_context": true,
			"use_buffer2": false,
			"whole_word": false,
			"wrap": true
		},

Can you check whether you have a similar JSON config items on your computer? I will also cross check on my other device.

0 Likes

On my other Mac, ST3 was still running build 3140, and exhibited this very issue.

After upgrading to 3141, it went away.

0 Likes

Build 3141 has also fixed it for me. Thanks @wbond / @jps

1 Like