Sublime Forum

Reason For Sublime Text $80 Price: I Think I Have It

Where is the package repo for 5,000 packages ?
All I see on GitHub is 64 . . .

0 Likes

Plugin authors just host their packages by themselves. And Github is not the only option. Bitbucket is supported by packagecontrol.io as well afaik. Or, you can ask your users to add a custom repo URL without making your plugin appeared on packagecontrol.io.

1 Like

So where is the entire list held ? So far the only entire listing that I can see is on the Sublime Text program itself, i.e. Preferences > Package Control > Package Control: Install Package . . . .

JC, this isnā€™t much of a package index.

0 Likes

https://packagecontrol.io/docs

1 Like

Sweet.
Thanks, Jack.

1 Like

https://packagecontrol.io/stats

(and https://packagecontrol.io/channel_v3.json for the pre-cached version that the PC package downloads on each machine).

2 Likes

@tamj, sorry for the late reply to your reply:

Flawed reasoning behind your guessā€¦

Excellent points you make there, thanks!

ST has drawn in revenues of ~ $120 million - $320 million. Or between $11 million - $30 million a year.

Glad to read this ā€” even if this is all on the speculative side, itā€™s good news. I just wish that some more funds were invested on official documentation for ST3!

If these are the approximate numbers, there should be room for hiring someone to handle documentation. The only grudge I have with ST is the lack of an in-depth documentation, and having to surf the web and sift the forum whenever I need to know how to do something in ST3 ā€” with the risk of finding obsolete info, as it often happens. The official docs available online are really thin ā€¦

Possibly, a good documentation would also mean less support requests, which sounds like a good investment in the long run. The info is all out there in the wild, but itā€™s scattered all over the place, and itā€™s difficult to relate it to the latest updates of the dev builds. If at least the stable releases where fully documented, it would be much easier to contribute to the echosystem (IMO).

0 Likes

Possibly, a good documentation would also mean less support requests, which sounds like a good investment in the long run.

Makes sense all right.
But thereā€™s a helluva hump to climb making that first comprehensive set of docs :laughing:

0 Likes

$80 for a text editor (albeit a good one)? Lmaoā€¦ GTFO!

0 Likes

Wecome to the machine, legomyegoless.

Only a recent newbee myself.
I take it youā€™re using the free Visual Studio Code ?
I have it on board myself but prefer to use ā€˜freeā€™ Sublime Text as itā€™s fast and less likely to grind to a halt under intensive use.

After having ST as my ā€˜steadyā€™ text editor for near a year now, I think Iā€™d nearly pay the $80 if only ST gave users some sort of say in the features provided.

0 Likes

The Sublime developers should charge $1 per ā€œItā€™s too expensiveā€ thread. They could have retired to a small tropical island years ago :slight_smile:

0 Likes

SublimeText is not ā€˜freeā€™.

0 Likes

I was going to buy Sublime, I expected something around $ 30 ā€¦
But when I saw that it is sold for $ 80 !! my first thought was ā€œI clearly need to use another software!ā€.
And Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one who ends up with this.

This is a text editor!
It is more expensive than: Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements, Luminar, Parallels Desktop, Corel Draw, PaintShop Pro, Lightroom CC, ā€¦
And around the price of: Reason Studio 11, Office 2018, Office 365 Home, ā€¦
To name a few ā€¦

And you have lots of cheaper competitors!
So Iā€™m on the move! due to this goose egg syndrome

0 Likes

The cost of the Linux development, from the beginning to today, is estimated around tens of billions of dollars. But itā€™s free.
Given that, I donā€™t get why you should pay for Reason, or Office, or Photoshop, you name it.

0 Likes

I was not talking about free vs paid, this is rather linked to the business model.

The developers of Linux were not paid, they volunteer.
But you can find companies that earn money with the support, some other even sell specific distributions: RedHat, Suse, ā€¦

Same for Blender for instance, we could also argue between Blender and Maya, free vs pricyā€¦ but this was not my intent.

I was saying that the price is higher than what I would expect for such a productā€¦ I was on my way buying it and the price made me turn around. And Iā€™m pretty sure I am not the only one in that case.

I would have paid $39 without any doubt but now Iā€™m looking at Atom and may be using VS Code more than just dev.

0 Likes

Naturally, I agree that itā€™s too dear.
Iā€™ve been using ST for free for a year or so now and itā€™s going fairly okay.
Yet if you have to change to something else DONā€™T substitute Atom for Chrissakes. :scream:
Atom is no longer alive as a project and it never really sorted out its annoying user bugs anyhow.
Get Visual Studio Code if you have to change.
But please keep ST just to see how light it is by comparison and how it never gets its panties in a twist under busy use like VSC does.

0 Likes

They vast majority of the Linux development is made by highly qualified software engineers, and they get paid. A lot. For example: Intel contributes to Linux and pays its engineers to write code for Linux. The same for Google, Microsoft, Red Hat, ARM, and the Linux Software Foundation. The list is very long. There is a minor part made by voluteers.

The prize comparison with other software doesnā€™t have, in my opinion, any sense. Corel Draw costs less than Sublime Text? Okā€¦ so? Why ST should cost less that Corel Draw?

From my perspective ST is pretty cheap: it is my main tool to do my job. But I wouldnā€™t pay 80 bucks for Office, because I need it just once a month, and LibreOffice is enough compatible for me.

0 Likes

Me too. Whadda waste of dough.
I use OpenOffice myself and have been able to do some fancy frame formats (useful for the ā€˜modernā€™ resumĆ©) with it that I just couldnā€™t on MS Office.
I canā€™t quite afford the $80 yet for ST but Iā€™d be willing if I had that much slack. It hasnā€™t let me down so far.

0 Likes

Leave it to those inside Sublime HQ and on the payroll to worry about this stuff.

0 Likes

I think that lowering the price to $25 could indeed increase sales volume, but it would also broaden the user base to include less experienced coders. This expansion would demand more support resources and could dilute the productā€™s focus, potentially impacting the quality of service for the core professional user group. Additionally, a lower price might inadvertently lower the perceived value of the product.

1 Like