Sublime Forum

Project Switcher "Unable to read project"

When I open up the project switcher (“Switch Project in Window”) dialog there are some projects that will not open because the .sublime-project file is no longer available (I get message "Unable to read project some/directory/path/someproject.sublime-project). How do I modify the projects that are listed in the project switcher dialog so that these items are removed? Also, it seems like project switcher doesn’t show projects that are currently open - is there a way to show open projects in the project switcher as well?

0 Likes

Hi,

I’d like to bump the first part of this question - as a newbie I managed to create several ‘odd’ projects that have since been deleted . . . but still appear in the Project Switcher list. I’ve poked around the files but can’t find where this list is generated from to edit it (if that is even possible).

Help please.

OK . . . as usually posting focuses the mind. I found the answer for myself before I clicked submit.

Close Sublime Text 2; open the file . . ./Settings/Session.sublime_session in an different text editor and look for the block workspaces : recent workspaces (at the end of the file in my case) and delete the unwanted lines. Save and re-open Sublime Text 2 and the ‘ghosts’ are gone from the Project Switcher.

Bob

1 Like

See also How do I remove a project from the “Switch Project window”? - if you go to Project > Recent Projects > Clear Items that will clean things up. You’ll need to go and manually open your projects to repopulate the list though.

1 Like

I had a persistent startup error after moving my main project folder to a less cluttered area on disk: "unable to read project {the directory which no longer exists}Temp1.sublime-project and after some searching found the area in Session.sublime_session, in multiple parameters “pinned_build_system”, however changing this does not persist - Sublime 3 still keeps trying to open the old file location on each startup. Well, silly me, I was editing this file in Sublime itself! So I edited the file in a different text editor, saved it, and now my changes are sticking.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, it solved the issue in my case.

0 Likes

I had deleted the sublime-project file while I had some files from that project open.
Menu > Project > Close Project made the error stop happening.

0 Likes