Sublime Forum

Project alive?

[quote=“g4mby”]

Yes, I know that. Sorry you missed the point I was actually making.[/quote]

That’s the marketing response: yes, it’s missing, but there’s a workaround.

0 Likes

[quote=“pete340”]

Yes, I know that. Sorry you missed the point I was actually making.

That’s the marketing response: yes, it’s missing, but there’s a workaround.[/quote]

That’s pretty funny. The ability for packages to change the behavior of the editor is something Sublime Text fanboys boast about all the time. If there was a problem with Sublime and someone created a workaround package you’d be gushing all over it. Quite frankly, that’s all Sublime has going for it at this point.

0 Likes

How is Atom relevant in this discussion? o.O

1 Like

It’s the invasion of the Atom Marketing Droids!

0 Likes

Because off read-my-original-post.

I decided to go for Atom and I wasn’t planning any more posts. But I have to say that the Sublime project gives me extremely negative vibes. The amount of blog posts and forum posts uttering hate is insane. Glad I didn’t pay.

0 Likes

Can you ALL just shut up, please? This is the xth discussion of this kind and it’s always the same shit - with the same people, pretty much. Troll me here, troll me there, bla bla. I did not want to post because it’s stupid, but this needs to stop! From both sides! … Actually, I’m not even sure if you even hold a side because it seems like you are just here for the trolling anyway.

Sublime HQ people do not reply here. They haven’t in years. Your post won’t change this, and you should know this, so you’re just here to annoy.

Please go troll somewhere else. Thank you.

0 Likes

I don’t really care about fanboyism or “taking sides”. Atom is of course relevant because it is one of the most popular text editors and a viable substitute for Sublime. And of course comparing Sublime to it’s substitutes is completely relevant topic. And the status and apparent halt of Sublime development and lack of communications is equally relevant topic.

I use whatever text editor currently is the best choice. If my current choice (Sublime, no paid license) falls behind, I will start using another good, like Atom. It has a lot going on and the development has clear direction and fast pace.

Not a big deal. I just think Sublime has great potential but I would not spend my money now because complete lack of communications and the unclear status of the project. I’d be very glad if the situation changes at some point.

EDIT: And I really don’t know how popular Sublime can be if the state of it’s official forums is like this. I mean how it is even possible to have forum full of spam on so little actual conversation?

0 Likes

I second that mentioning Atom is completely useful. And it is completely sensible to say that there is no communication from the developer(s). Even every week.

A user who is in two minds how to act will probably read the forum to get informed about the state of Sublime. And as for myself I would be happy to know if there are viable alternatives. And I’m sure too, that I wouldn’t read all old forum entries.

If Atom is missing some critical feature or has a serious bug I would be quite confident (at the present) that the community will take care of it.

In contrast Sublime developer(s) convey the impression: We don’t care. Don’t bother us.

And that’s something everyone should take into account.

Today, I still use Sublime but from day to day I think more of it as a dead end.

0 Likes

[quote=“FichteFoll”]Can you ALL just shut up, please? This is the xth discussion of this kind and it’s always the same shit - with the same people, pretty much. Troll me here, troll me there, bla bla. I did not want to post because it’s stupid, but this needs to stop! From both sides! … Actually, I’m not even sure if you even hold a side because it seems like you are just here for the trolling anyway.

Sublime HQ people do not reply here. They haven’t in years. Your post won’t change this, and you should know this, so you’re just here to annoy.

Please go troll somewhere else. Thank you.[/quote]

I went through a few posts in the archive and there are many such posts. I was about to ask about the future as well, but found several posts. I don’t think it’s the same people, just many people wondering if they should go for Sublime despite little activity. That’s just fair.

So why don’t YOU shut up, please, and let Sublime HQ answer if they care.

0 Likes

Sometimes, I just feel reddit is more useful than the General Discussion field in this official forum…

1 Like

Just some words to say, that I completely agree with you. In the beginning of the discussion, I was hoping this was a different kind of discussion…
Anyhow:

Thank you

0 Likes

I you are not interested just don’t read it.

0 Likes

Sublime future development seems pretty much dead, or at least as pace that makes it impossible to rely on future updates. I imagine the main developer got sick of working on one programme for nearly 10 years and wanted to do something else and who knows what internal politics is going on internally that stops someone else taking over.

Having said that Sublime Text is still a great text editor, which a great plug-in community. You don’t need constant future updates if the software already does what you need it to do. Look at the Unix tools, when was the last time you panicked because grep hadn’t been updated since 1992.

If Sublime Text doesn’t have a feature you need, and you can’t find a plugin for it, and you can’t write it yourself in Python, then don’t use Sublime Text as it will probably never get added.

But if Sublime Text already does what you need it to do (which is most things when you factor in plugins) then why the heck not use it. You can trial the program for free and its only 70 bucks. I would happily pay that to get an dedicated text either rather than a repurposed web browser pretending to be a text editor. Panicking that there is no more updates coming is silly unless you really need something added or fixed. People worry too much about investing in a single program. If 5 years from now Atom or Brackets are actually fast and usable moving over to them is not the worst thing in the world, and you would have had a very fast powerful text editor up until then.

It is much better to use a fast powerful text editor that works now but that might never get updated again than to use a slow weak text editor that is getting updated constantly but still has a long way to go before it is good.

1 Like

The comparison to unix tools makes zero sense.

Sublime need constant updates to keep working after major OS updates, which is a monthly event these days. Check the github issues. Sublime basically no longer works reliably on Ubuntu 64-bit, nor on 5K iMacs with el capitan.

Besides, the “great plug-in community” has slowly given up, and I see zero innovation these days, and barely any interesting updates.

0 Likes

No reason to insult the community. Where are your interesting contributions?

0 Likes

Wow I love windows.

0 Likes

[quote=“pete340”]

[quote=“flypenguin”]just registered, just to say “me too”. maybe the dev will wake up. I paid for sublime, I still love it, but I will download atom now and try using it.

Because I seriously consider sublime dead.[/quote]

Funny how everyone who registers just to complain also says they’re switching to Atom. Sounds like a marketing campaign. Of course, they’ll all deny it.[/quote]

nah, not a marketing campaign for atom, not from my side at least. Just wanted to add some noise, actually. more people yelling maybe equals more chance of dev guy waking up.

it’s just that sublime really used to rock, and the only viable replacement (when you don’t mind using a BROWSER as editor) is atom. I would actually love to continue using sublime. It’s small, fast, cool, python-esque, etc.

but having NO EFFING SIGN OF ACTIVITY WHATSOEVER from the dev in ages is just uncool.

and sorry, another beta with a minimum number of obscure bugs fixed every … couple of months, for something that should have been a release for almost years now, doesnt count. even if the dev is ill or something (maybe, who knows) he could come out in the open and open source it if he can’t develop any further. or ask for money if he needed to, I’m sure people would pay. but given the current state, I would no longer pay for sublime. There are alternatives, and they are good, and they are active, so why should I pay for something wich is good but inactive?

so, clarified that.

0 Likes

i found some posts indicating the dev is busy writing iOS games, too bad this is not public info so everyone could stop paying for this bit rot called sublime

0 Likes

Just a small observation: I think that Jon Skinner name is a pretty common one; on a quick search I found doctors, designers, programmers under this name and they are all from Australia (on the other hand I didn’t spent too much time filtering these results). So unless you have some solid proof, this is merely a speculation.

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

Just a small observation: I think that Jon Skinner name is a pretty common one; on a quick search I found doctors, designers, programmers under this name and they are all from Australia (on the other hand I didn’t spent too much time filtering these results). So unless you have some solid proof, this is merely a speculation.[/quote]

I found the quote on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20715&p=72832&hilit=ios#p72832), but I have no idea if it’s true or not. It doesn’t matter much either, the fact is that there’s no communication since july and my ubuntu distro still won’t install sublime.

0 Likes