Sublime Forum

Project alive?

Sometimes I’m asking myself how busy can one be that doesn’t have few minutes for a couple months in a row to say a simple „Hi!”.

But then, when I read that you check their profiles everyday and they are active, I just think that this is just the SublimeHQ business model.

I don’t like to make this kind of statements, but probably ST will be either like E-text (dead) or Textmate 2 (open sourced but struggling to survive), although it would be nice to have an official statement (other than broken promises).

Oh well…

0 Likes

I imagine people visit more often than it shows. I rarely log in when I am just browsing.

[quote=“iamntz”]I also hope that Jon is OK.

I’d say that if he doesn’t respond at least to users that heavily contributes to the community & to the brand awareness the message is pretty clear. [/quote]

I often wonder if Sublime just isn’t paying the bills and he has other work now too. He has never been really vocal anyways, and if he is also busy doing other stuff too, then it doesn’t surprise me that we don’t hear much from him. I am technically fine if updates come slow as long as I still feel Sublime is the best editor for me at this point; I don’t experience any show stopping issues, and I haven’t found anything yet that makes me want to jump ship. I guess if I ever find an actively developed project that I honestly feel gives Sublime a run for it’s money then maybe there might be trouble.

1 Like

Exactly. But I guess it drives away some users and potential users.

0 Likes

I’m sure that’s the case. I can’t speak for any of my other fellow “whiney-butts,” but what’s frustrating about this is the feeling that this might not be the case if there’d been a greater priority on communication and the occasional point release. It’s easy to forget that the vast majority of both users and potential users are going to judge the project activity by its most obvious public presence: what they can see on the web site. What is it they see?

“So, what’s this Sublime thing I’ve been hearing about for a while? The big ‘Download’ button takes me to version 2.0.2, two and a half years old. Yikes. Is this still being developed? Oh, wait, there’s an ST3 beta, and it’s from March 2015. Not so bad. Of course, the previous release was in August 2014 and the release before that was December 2013 and gosh, how long has this thing been in beta? Is it ever coming out? Let’s check the blog. Oh. Hmm. What’s that editor from Github I’ve been hearing about again? I’ve heard it’s slow, but it sure looks like it’s being iterated on rapidly…”

I get the whole “it keeps working for me so stop kvetching” thing. It works for me, too, theoretically! But fanatic users shouting down whiney-butts don’t provide revenue. To survive, Sublime Text needs new users who are coming in and buying it, and my suspicion is that the lack of visible activity reduced that to a trickle in 2014.

Well, that Atom thing sure looks like it’s being iterated on rapidly. :wink: (Personally I’m finding myself using BBEdit more these days, although that’s Mac-only and, as some might say, highly opinionated, not always in ways I agree with – but it’s updated regularly and the programmers are active on the BBEdit mailing list.)

0 Likes

[quote=“Chipotle”]

0 Likes

[quote=“NikKlaus”]7-zip got its first stable release since 2009. Neat.
7-zip.org/download.html
7-zip.org/history.txt

P.S. Hoping that this is not the same case.[/quote]

Yeah, but most people are more forgiving of a free app. You can’t gripe about how much you paid, you either use it happily or you don’t. I use 7zip all the time at work, and I can’t think of any time me going “I wish 7-zip whould do XXXX”. I guess I have never once thought about 7-zip development :smile:.

0 Likes

I don’t think money is the issue here - if anything else it’s the opposite.

I’ve sold 4,200 copies of my Sublime Text Book. I’ve only reached a small small fraction of the people that use sublime.

Let’s say a generous 0.25% of Sublime Users have bought my book (I’m sure it’s closer to 0.01%). That would mean over a million licenses sold at $70 a pop.

So - I know we shouldn’t pry into Jon’s life - hes allowed to keep that private. That said, I’m pretty disappointed there isn’t even a “hey - I’m still alive, just taking some time off” message.

0 Likes

You might be right, I was just casually throwing out a possibility.

Yeah, I don’t need to know his private details. Just a little “hey” every now and then is plenty.

0 Likes

I saw this somewhere some days ago.

0 Likes

That’s the standard reply, I got one a year ago.

And, yes, you will see another release. The strategy is to do the minimum amount of work possible to still trick people into shelling out money.

0 Likes

I sent a similar email to sales@sublimetext.com on 11/4/2015 and got a very similar response. It’s good to know others are trying to politely contact them.

It’s possible there is a reasonable explanation for the lack of communication but I think it’s more likely just lack of manners or respect for users.

0 Likes

I have been looking around for a great editor lately, and I started from open source products: I am a lone developer with not many customers and a family with kids.
Atom was good looking, with a ton of extensions and close integration with Github, but I kept running into bugs. I do not mind if a product has daily updates, if it sometimes hangs, or updates fail: a daily tool is not allowed to malfunction.
Brackets was just nice, but nothing in it pulled me in its direction.
Visual Studio Code is a great tool and the presence of Erich Gamma, from Eclipse, really shows in the concept. It is open source and a pleasure to use, but it will be a great open source editor in the future, when its development goes a bit further, especially if it attracts more people in the community.
Sublime is a stable product, with a lot of features and an active community. It is the editor that the developers of the projects I am following use. Further, speed and stability are two requirements for a tool, and I do not mind. Still the price is not in the “just go for it” zone, at least for me, and I would like to be sure I am betting on a product with a future. Plan B is that the competitors are so close in concept that it would be a snap going back, but I would miss my investment in the license.
I think the dev should consider opening the source and transferring ownership to a foundation which can make profit in other ways.

0 Likes

Open sourcing a commercial product had rarely the desired outcome.

I can’t think of a single closed source application that was eventually open sourced and was a success…

0 Likes

I don’t mind paying for Sublime, I wish he would do more updates so I could pay more money. Maybe the unlimited trail of sublime should be limited to increase total sales?

If Jon isn’t interested in working on this maybe sell it to someone capable that wants to work on it.

0 Likes

I paid the $70/$whatever years ago and I cant complain because I feel I got my moneys worth. However I share everyones frustration and its beginning to look more and more like Sublime is more or less abandoned. Which is kind of crazy when its still a product that I see roughly 50% od developers using as their editor. If you are on a powerful enough machine then theres not much to complain about with Atom and its fantastic for Web Dev as mentioned. However sometimes its just not performant enough - I hesitate to open up another window much of the time. Visual Studio Code is becoming really nice but not quite as customizable at this point and lacking quite a few features. So I guess i bounce around the three remembering things i like and dont like about each as i go

0 Likes

just registered, just to say “me too”. maybe the dev will wake up. I paid for sublime, I still love it, but I will download atom now and try using it.

Because I seriously consider sublime dead.

0 Likes

[quote=“flypenguin”]just registered, just to say “me too”. maybe the dev will wake up. I paid for sublime, I still love it, but I will download atom now and try using it.

Because I seriously consider sublime dead.[/quote]

Funny how everyone who registers just to complain also says they’re switching to Atom. Sounds like a marketing campaign. Of course, they’ll all deny it.

1 Like

May be some of them will come back when the realise that there is no insert/overwrite toggle that works “everywhere” and that the spelling dictionary is US English only. Two very serious omissions in an advanced editor that should have been corrected by now.

0 Likes

[quote=“g4mby”]

May be some of them will come back when the realise that there is no insert/overwrite toggle that works “everywhere” and that the spelling dictionary is US English only. Two very serious omissions in an advanced editor that should have been corrected by now.[/quote]

I’m not sure why insert/overwrite isn’t part of Atom core but there is a plugin https://atom.io/packages/atom-overtype-mode.

0 Likes

Yes, I know that. Sorry you missed the point I was actually making.

0 Likes