Sublime Forum

Problem with some Keys on ABNT2 keyboard layout

Hello you all,

I’d like to learn how to debug and solve an unpleasant issue i’m facing since last few days. I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to help me.

Sublime-text simply stopped typing backticks, cedilla, tilde, and so on… I couldn’t clearly identify any major changes to the system that could be causing this. But I think it started bugging after upgrading to Build 4126.

Version of Sublime-Text here in my GNU/Linux distro is the latest from stable channel: Build 4126

Selection_142

$ subl --version
Sublime Text Build 4126

It’s a ABNT2 keyboard and works fine system-wide. This means if I open terminal with different user and run subl or subl --safe-mode it works perfectly.

Things I’ve already tried and results:

1. Tried to compare (used diff and md5sum) keybindings between my production user (problematic) and root/other users: Preferences -> Key Bindings
  2. Tried to compare (used diff and md5sum) settings between my production user (problematic) and the root/other users: Preferences -> Settings

All of them are e-x-a-c-t-l-y the same.

1. Tried to show console and enable log_input and log_commands:
sublime.log_input(True)
sublime.log_commands(True)

But it shows nothing. Console simply remains silent when pressing ‘Ç’ , tilde ‘~’ and backticks ‘`’ (all near the P key).

In another user on same system, which works perfectly, it nicely shows this:

>>> sublime.log_input(True)
chr evt: ç (0xe7)
chr evt: ~ (0x7e)
chr evt: ` (0x60)

So I’m pretty sure this is the expected behavior.

1. Tried to run ‘subl --safe-mode’ but also doesn’t work, can’t type those keys.

2. Tried to remove my ~/.config/sublime-text/ and run sublime, but also doesn’t work, can’t type those keys.

3. Tried to sniff for any other kind of keyboard settings throughout absolutely ALL menus, and couldn’t find anything.

4. Tried to switch keyboard layout from Brazilian ABNT2 to others, and then back again to ABNT2. When using for example English (UK), sublime prints ; when I press the ‘Ç’ key. And prints the backtick when I press the single quote key.

5. Tried to unplug keyboard from USB, and plug it again: nothing.

6. Tried to remove and re-install brand new sublime-text but also doesn’t work.

I hope someone has a new NORTH to present me, because I’m completely lost without those ABNT2 keys.

Regards,

0 Likes

This ‘fixes’: apt remove sublime-text && apt install sublime-text=4121

So it seems to be an issue with the latest 4126 build.

Saw changelog says Mac, Linux: Improved compatibility with some keyboard layouts

I can’t confirm that, but maybe something related to this compatibility improvement is breaking in my environment.

0 Likes

I have the same issue and I patched it downgrading to 4121 as hudsantos suggests.
I’m using Debian Stretch 9.13 with Italian layout for the keyboard. It has dedicated keys for special characters like “àèìòù” and, pressing them, nothing arrives to Sublime.

1 Like

Yes yuiop, this is so annoying. I’m also still using the downgraded version. I don’t even figure out why this happens or where to focus in order to troubleshoot. Complete cold silence from this community/forum is what scares me even more.

0 Likes