Sublime Forum

Problem with package control plugin

Today a Sublime Text plugin was updated automatically (I don’t remember which one, I think it was the package control), the problem is that now the package control doesn’t work anymore, and throws me this error:

I can’t reinstall the package control again and the other plugins doesn’t work anymore too.

These are the last lines of the console when I start Sublime Text:

reloading plugin BracketHighlighter.support
reloading plugin DocBlockr.jsdocs
reloading plugin Emmet.main
reloading plugin GitGutter.plugin
reloading plugin Material Theme.Icons
reloading plugin Material Theme.MT
reloading plugin Package Control.1_reloader
reloading plugin Package Control.2_bootstrap
error: plugin_host has exited unexpectedly, plugin functionality won't be available until Sublime Text has been restarted

I’m running Sublime Text in Ubuntu 18

Does anyone knows what may be happening? is this a possible bug?

0 Likes

There is a new version of Package Control. It works well for me on Windows. Try restarting Sublime Text again. If that doesn’t work, then you must have a corrupt copy of Package Control. I don’t know what you could do in that case. Perhaps others would know.

Edit: It works for me in Ubuntu 20.04 as well. I didn’t have restart in Ubuntu, but I did in Windows.
Be aware that I haven’t thoroughly tested it, just first impressions.

0 Likes

Hi Jackeroo, thanks for your reply… I have upgraded all my Ubuntu packages but I still get the same error… when I run Sublime Text I got this error on /var/log/syslog:

Sep 29 14:23:27 cronopio kernel: [  245.634239] traps: plugin_host[2777] general protection ip:7f12dc80fefa sp:7ffd2ef07f98 error:0 in libc-2.27.so[7f12dc766000+1e7000]

I have tried to remove and reinstall the Package Control but the problem persists…

My kernel version is 4.15 can the problem be related to that version?

0 Likes

My kernel version is 4.15 can the problem be related to that version?

Could be - that’s an old version even for Ubuntu 18. I’m running 5.4…0 -48.
Don’t your kernel versions update regularly? I was running 5.0 on 18.04 before I upgraded to 20.04.
I don’t really know if that is the answer or not. Perhaps @wbond would know.

0 Likes

I have a similar problem, caused by the same update, on two Linux PCs. (My Windows PC took the update but had no problems.) I am using 5.8 kernels on the Linux PCs. The problem I am having is that on both those PCs: (1) the options under Preferences -> Package Settings -> Package Control are greyed out; (2) Preferences -> Package Control is blank.

EDIT: I see this in my console.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/sublime_text/sublime_plugin.py", line 125, in reload_plugin
    m = importlib.import_module(modulename)
  File "./python3.3/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1584, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1565, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1532, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "/opt/sublime_text/sublime_plugin.py", line 1199, in load_module
    exec(compile(source, source_path, 'exec'), mod.__dict__)
  File "/home/nicholas/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package/2_bootstrap.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "/home/nicholas/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/Package Control/package_control/package_manager.py", line 31, in <module>
    from .clear_directory import clear_directory, delete_directory
ImportError: cannot import name delete_directory
reloading plugin Package Control.Package Control
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/sublime_text/sublime_plugin.py", line 125, in reload_plugin
    m = importlib.import_module(modulename)
  File "./python3.3/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1584, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1565, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1532, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "/home/nicholas/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package/Package Control.py", line 89, in <module>
  File "/home/nicholas/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package/package_control/commands/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "/home/nicholas/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/Package Control.sublime-package/package_control/commands/advanced_install_package_command.py", line 10, in <module>
  File "/home/nicholas/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/Package Control/package_control/package_manager.py", line 31, in <module>
    from .clear_directory import clear_directory, delete_directory
ImportError: cannot import name delete_directory
0 Likes

Hmm. I had a Package Control.sublime-package.zip in my package directory (~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages). I removed that file and restarted Sublime. And now - having, er, deleted package control?(!) - package control works.

0 Likes

In my case, I deleted the file ~/.config/sublime-text-3/Installed Packages/‘Package Control.sublime-package’ and restarted. The error is gone but I lost my Package Control and some plugins are not working properly.

Same problem on a fresh install.

Is there a way to downgrade Package Control to previous version?

0 Likes

I don’t think that you can downgrade the Package Control package. (I could be wrong)
Have you thought about upgrading your kernel? I don’t know if it would work, but it might be worth a try.
I didn’t have any problems with the new version of Package Control on Ubuntu 20.04.
It was only on Windows 8.1 that I couldn’t list packages at first. (I waited a decent interval)
After I reset Sublime Text, everything was fine immediately.

0 Likes

New version of Package Control fail to start on Ubuntu 14.04 x64 with openssl 1.1.1
Problem in file Package Control.sublime-package/package_control/deps/oscrypto/_openssl/_libcrypto.py
It does not returns after line 38:
libcrypto.OPENSSL_config(null())
So fast and dirty solution is to comment out this line.
#libcrypto.OPENSSL_config(null())
And it works again. I suppose problem is in incompatibility of new version of openssl or method of initialization.

ps: Before last update of package control works on same machine without problem.

0 Likes

The issue is an incompatibility between the staticly linked OpenSSL in plugin_host and the one that the oscrypto module in Package Control is trying to load from your system. This only happens on Linux.

There was code in Package Control to try and prevent this from happening, but the sys.executable check was wrong.

I’ll be doing a new release (3.4.1) in the next day or two to fix the issue.

0 Likes

I see that the new update for Package Control has arrived. FYI, I had to restart Sublime Text in order to List Packages and Install Packages. Is this normal? I had to do the same thing with the penultimate update to Package Control.

Sublime Text Build 3210
Package Control version 3.4.1
Windows 8.1

Edit: I want to reiterate that every time I want to use Package Control, I have to restart Sublime Text 3.
No one has answered my question.

0 Likes