Sublime Forum

Problem changing to UTF-8

Hey everyone,

So i was trying to change sublime to UTF-8 and I couldn’t figure out how to do it. From what i saw on stack overflow I need to open settings and add “show_encoding”: true to it so i can change it. So i clicked preferences and then settings and then 2 windows popped up, one with a bunch of preset settings and a window with nothing in it except font size 11. So i tried putting “show_encoding”: true in the blank window because i couldnt change it in the window with all the preset settings but then when i tried to save it i got this error: Error trying to parse settings: unexpected trailing characters in package\uesrs\preferences.sublime-settings:5:1
What do i need to do to get this to work properly?

0 Likes

Settings files are JSON files, so the error message is telling you that the file is no longer valid around the location specified (line 5, column 1). The common reasons for that are adding character before the initial {, after the trailing } or forgetting to comma separate items in between.

Based on what you’ve said, your file should look like the following in order to work the way you want:

{
	"font_size": 11,
	"show_encoding": true
}
0 Likes

Thank you, that worked now!

1 Like