Sublime Forum

Printing?

Hi, with the antivirus issue out of the way, I figured I’d give ST another chance.

But… there’s no PRINTING functionality!!! In a text editor? That’s just weird.

I found some forum posts about using plugins to generate html or whatever and then print, but that’s just silly.

Is printing going in soon?

0 Likes

I agree, but I think there are plenty of posts about this already :smile:

Oh, and I predict someone will soon post a response with that horrible go green sticker.

0 Likes

I’m willing to bet that this feature is way down on Jon’s TODO list, if it is even on the list at all.

Personally, I rarely need to print things from SublimeText, but when I do, the available plugins work extremely well and provide WAY more features that you might get in any other text editor or IDE.

0 Likes

I actually do need to print often, it is especially useful for code reviewing, where a particular bit of code can be printed, and reviewed and commented on while sitting face to face with the person. I do think it is a serious lack for a text editor to not provide any printing capabilities.

Besides simple printing capabilities should be easily added. And come on honestly, going through a third party add on, that converts to HTML so you can print through some browser is just, horrible. I really honestly feel that. In this isolated case I prefer notepad++.

0 Likes

Understood and I agree that it is odd that there is no printing in SublimeText. Printing via the browser is clearly a hack to provide the missing functionality.

That said, you should have a look at the “ExportHtml” plugin. Among other things, it provides the possibility to add annotations to the printouts (which could be helpful with code reviews).

0 Likes

I am actually not aware of any other “programming editor” that is not able to print.

0 Likes

[quote=“somedude”]

I am actually not aware of any other “programming editor” that is not able to print.

brackets.io/[/quote]

At least it’s in their issue tracker and being worked on.

0 Likes

I wonder why he doesn’t respond to these things… at least then I would know if it’s being worked on or if ST is never going to get print functionality.

0 Likes

[quote=“Kaniken”]

I wonder why he doesn’t respond to these things… at least then I would know if it’s being worked on or if ST is never going to get print functionality.[/quote]

Because as always, companies care about making money, not helping customers.

0 Likes

There have been no indications from Sublime HQ that printing will be included in Sublime Text.

0 Likes

Well, there’s that behemoth of a thread on the UserEcho:
sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/25170-printing/

Beware, it contains a huge amount of “butthurt”.
We’re still waiting on a official response tho (a clear “yes” or “no” would be great…).

0 Likes

Official response is here: Printing from sublime

A simple search is enough most of times…

0 Likes

No update == no change.
You really expect that Jon will come every month and say „printing is not yet implemented”?

Something like this?

0 Likes

Actually it is. There was any change? No. There was any update? No.

In these couple of years since i use ST i noticed that features are added not by user request but by developer needs.
So as long as Jon doesn’t see any benefits on printing (i, for one, i don’t), i doubt that will be implemnted…

0 Likes

Arjan, please stop spewing the same crap over and over again under different accounts.

Seriously, people can read your concerns once. You don’t need to bring them up over and over again pretending you are “another” user with the same concerns.

0 Likes