Sublime Forum

Printing Capability

I’m just fine - usually I just copy the text to Notepad and print from there. You can do that too :). But don’t you think it’s silly - moving a few lines of text to another text editor because your commercial work tool doesn’t have something as trivial as printing? It’s like having Photoshop - GRAPHICS editor - where you can’t type text. And you have to run an external program just for that purpose. And in the Photoshop forum you read that this is a GRAPHICS program, not text, so if you don’t like it, work in a different program;)

0 Likes

I just use ExportHtml (which I am the author of) and it sends the text to the browser to print :man_shrugging:. A matter of fact, you can just add a menu item like this and access it from the menu:

{
        "id": "file",
        "children":
        [
            { "caption": "-" },
            {
                "command": "export_html",
                "args": {
                    "numbers": true,
                    "wrap": 900,
                    "browser_print": true,
                    "multi_select": true,
                    "color_scheme": "Packages/ExportHtml/ColorSchemes/Print Color.sublime-color-scheme",
                    "style_gutter": false,
                    "diable_nbsp": true,
                    "filter": "grayscale"
                },
                "caption": "Print (Export HTML)"
            },
            { "caption": "-" }
        ]
    },

If I’m writing something like a shopping list, presentation notes, or something like that, I usually write it in Markdown and use MarkdownPreview to render it in the browser and print from there. I find it pretty inconvenient.

If I were copying text from Sublime to Notepad++, I would find that annoying, but that is not what I’m doing.

2 Likes

I just use ExportHtml (which I am the author of) and it sends the text to the browser to print :man_shrugging:. A matter of fact, you can just add a menu item like this and access it from the menu (…)

Thank you, I appreciate it. I tried ExportHTML, it’s not a bad solution - you don’t even need to add it to the “File” menu, it’s available from the context menu. The trouble is, I’m a developer of web applications and generally I don’t like when “something” opens up additional tabs in my browser and I have to close it after that :wink: ) Yes, as a developer, I’m lazy :smiley:

I think you get my point of view. I understand that there are various workarounds (yes, I still think that in TEXT EDITOR, browser based printing IS a workaround), some better, some worse. But I do not understand why the manufacturer of SublimeText has simply not implemented printing for 11 years, although it is actually trivial and - as you can see at the forum - many people expect it from a text editor.

All in all, this is not a key feature for me. I can make occasional printouts from Notepad or ExportHTM, of course I canL. But still - in my opinion - printing is one of the basic functions of a text editor, it is easy to implement and I find NO excuse that a commercial editor does not have this function :smiley:

0 Likes

That’s fair, and I do realize this is very subjective. Some are very passionate about printing as this thread (and others) have been alive for years. I just like point people to other options if they are copying and pasting from one editor to another (unless it is preferred to do the copy/paste dance) :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

By the way, of all the SublimeText printing methods I’ve tried, ExportHTML works best - first, it works at all, and second, at least wraps lines for printing :slight_smile:

If I may ask, is it possible to disable printing of the filename and line numbers? Only selected text?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it in html_panel configuration part :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Thanks! I only maintain and write what I use. So I tried to make it as usable as possible.

2 Likes