Sublime Forum

Print File?

Just wrote a list i wanted to print out and besides all great features Sublime Text2 has to offer, the “print” feature is missing :frowning:

1 Like

I am totally agree with you! I think PRINT is essential.
Sometimes I need to proofread the program on the paper,
however, printing is not available option in ST2…

0 Likes

+1 on this request … can you add the ability to print to ST2?

0 Likes

-1 You can print from just about any program on earth – given how rarely you should need to print source code, just copy and paste into one of them. I’d prefer development focused on things which improved the program itself.

0 Likes

+1 for the -1 :smiley:

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]

+1 for the -1 :smiley:[/quote]

This made me laugh, but it is true. Just use tito’s sidebar enhancements, and add an entry to open file in some simple text editor that can print. Of all the things I am hoping for, printing is not one I put much thought in. I can read code just fine on screen.

0 Likes

So I want to take some notes to a meeting. Should I carry my PC with me?

Since Sublime Text doesn’t have print, I’m forced to use it as a niche editor and keep Notepad++ as my general editor.

0 Likes

[quote]So I want to take some notes to a meeting. Should I carry my PC with me?

Since Sublime Text doesn’t have print, I’m forced to use it as a niche editor and keep Notepad++ as my general editor.[/quote]

No, just open the file you want to print in any other text editor. Even notepad.exe will work fine. Why would the print facility change your everyday use of the program?

0 Likes

Not being able to print means that I have to open the file in another editor, losing any selected text I may have along with formatting, tab spaces etc.
For an editor that’s so amazing it utterly ridiculous that it cannot print. Just because you don’t need to print doesn’t mean that others don’t. The feature is needed by many people. If I have to use another editor to print I’ll eventually just start using another editor for everything and that’d be a real shame.

As a basic feature I should be able to print the whole document or selected text and it should output line numbers and maintain tabs / spacing. That would probably do for most people.

0 Likes

Up vote sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/25170-printing/ if you want printing capabilities.

0 Likes

I did. I’m not sure the developer can be convinced that it’s needed though, nomatter how many people vote for it. All the other features that are being put in are really just nice-to-haves for the most part. For some people, not being able to print direct from the editor means that the editor is actually unusable in their day-to-day work. The workarounds break the flow up too much to be viable.

0 Likes

spadgos, Printing will improve the program it’s self and copy and pasting from one to another is just a pain and breaks work flow. People use Sublime Text for stuff other than just source code. I use it as my full on notepad replacement, and I actually used print quite a lot from notepad. I always have my notepad replacement open for things and right now I have Sublime open because it’s nice to use and notepad++ open… because it can print. We don’t need anything fancy on the print outs, I just want a black and white print of what’s in my document. For a text editor that actually costs money I can’t believe it doesn’t have one.

1 Like

+1

I know this is old, but it still does not have printing built in so i have to cast my vote.

Unlike spadgos, I use Sublime “TEXT” as a “TEXT” editor as it is advertised on the home page as , “a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.” I also use it for coding. Because I use Sublime for “TEXT” editing, I also would expect any basic editor to have printing functionality built in. I am not sure why everyone is so dug in about not putting this basic expectation of printing into a text editor.

Asking your customers to copy their text to another program to print feels kind of juvenile to be honest. I love using Sublime Text, but this is really strange that so many folks would be so uptight about putting something as basic as printing into a text editor.

0 Likes

Gotta love it when someone necros a thread just to write pretty much the same as in some other thread only minutes earlier.

Don’t get me wrong on this one, I do believe that sometimes necroing is warranted. Sometimes.

1 Like

Yeah, I felt kinda bad about that, but the other thread was my opinion and was written first, whereas this one was my vote in a features section. I figured I had to cast my vote somewhere in front of the devs. And unfortunately, the “printing” vote has been spread out over a bunch of different feature requests, so I just picked one. Didn’t feel the need to cast a vote in every one of the feature threads since that is definitely more on what you are getting at.

Too bad we can’t get them grouped up into one feature request to get a real sense of the opinions. After such a long time of this feature being on the bottom of the list, I seriously doubt anything will ever happen, but at least I left my +1 so my conscious is clear when I get annoyed enough to move on to something else…if that ever actually happens.

0 Likes